Sports Briefs

Men’s Track and Field: Strong showing at Miami Elite

The Hurricanes’ men’s track and field team recorded two first place finishes and five top-three finishes at the Miami Elite Invitational.

Senior Jon Scheiner led the way with a first place finish in the 3,000-meters. Junior Michael Dolan finished in first place in the hammer throw, while freshman Virgil Romer finished in third.

Junior Casey McGinn finished in second place in the pole vault, while the Hurricanes finished third in the 4X100 meter relay.

Next up for the ‘Canes is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Coaching: Deem named Team USA Coach

Women’s track and field Head Coach Amy Deem will serve as the head coach for Team USA at the 2007 IAAF World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Deem has been at Miami for 17 seasons, and in those 17 seasons has led the Lady ‘Canes to 12 conference championships and 10 individual national championships.

“This is a great honor,” Deem said. “To say that I feel extremely privileged to be given the opportunity to work with such an amazing group of athletes and help represent our country would be an understatement.”

Women’s Track and Field: ‘Canes dominate at Miami Elite

The women’s track and field team dominated the 2007 Miami Elite Invitational. The Lady ‘Canes tallied up five first place finishes and 10 top-three finishes.

Junior Khadija Talley continued her domination, as she collected first place finishes in the shot put and the discus. Freshman Deandra Doyley took first in the long jump.

In the triple jump, senior Brenda Faluade finished in first with an NCAA Regional qualifying mark. In the 800-meter, senior Ginou Etienne finished a hair before sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy, as they claimed first and second, respectively. Both finished with NCAA Regional qualifying marks.

Sophomore Kaitlin Nazario recorded a third place finish in the javelin throw. The women’s 4X100 meter and the women’s 4X400 meter relay teams recorded respective third place finishes.

Next up is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...