Sports Briefs

Men’s Track and Field: Strong showing at Miami Elite

The Hurricanes’ men’s track and field team recorded two first place finishes and five top-three finishes at the Miami Elite Invitational.

Senior Jon Scheiner led the way with a first place finish in the 3,000-meters. Junior Michael Dolan finished in first place in the hammer throw, while freshman Virgil Romer finished in third.

Junior Casey McGinn finished in second place in the pole vault, while the Hurricanes finished third in the 4X100 meter relay.

Next up for the ‘Canes is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Coaching: Deem named Team USA Coach

Women’s track and field Head Coach Amy Deem will serve as the head coach for Team USA at the 2007 IAAF World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Deem has been at Miami for 17 seasons, and in those 17 seasons has led the Lady ‘Canes to 12 conference championships and 10 individual national championships.

“This is a great honor,” Deem said. “To say that I feel extremely privileged to be given the opportunity to work with such an amazing group of athletes and help represent our country would be an understatement.”

Women’s Track and Field: ‘Canes dominate at Miami Elite

The women’s track and field team dominated the 2007 Miami Elite Invitational. The Lady ‘Canes tallied up five first place finishes and 10 top-three finishes.

Junior Khadija Talley continued her domination, as she collected first place finishes in the shot put and the discus. Freshman Deandra Doyley took first in the long jump.

In the triple jump, senior Brenda Faluade finished in first with an NCAA Regional qualifying mark. In the 800-meter, senior Ginou Etienne finished a hair before sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy, as they claimed first and second, respectively. Both finished with NCAA Regional qualifying marks.

Sophomore Kaitlin Nazario recorded a third place finish in the javelin throw. The women’s 4X100 meter and the women’s 4X400 meter relay teams recorded respective third place finishes.

Next up is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...