Sports Briefs

Men’s Track and Field: Strong showing at Miami Elite

The Hurricanes’ men’s track and field team recorded two first place finishes and five top-three finishes at the Miami Elite Invitational.

Senior Jon Scheiner led the way with a first place finish in the 3,000-meters. Junior Michael Dolan finished in first place in the hammer throw, while freshman Virgil Romer finished in third.

Junior Casey McGinn finished in second place in the pole vault, while the Hurricanes finished third in the 4X100 meter relay.

Next up for the ‘Canes is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Coaching: Deem named Team USA Coach

Women’s track and field Head Coach Amy Deem will serve as the head coach for Team USA at the 2007 IAAF World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Deem has been at Miami for 17 seasons, and in those 17 seasons has led the Lady ‘Canes to 12 conference championships and 10 individual national championships.

“This is a great honor,” Deem said. “To say that I feel extremely privileged to be given the opportunity to work with such an amazing group of athletes and help represent our country would be an understatement.”

Women’s Track and Field: ‘Canes dominate at Miami Elite

The women’s track and field team dominated the 2007 Miami Elite Invitational. The Lady ‘Canes tallied up five first place finishes and 10 top-three finishes.

Junior Khadija Talley continued her domination, as she collected first place finishes in the shot put and the discus. Freshman Deandra Doyley took first in the long jump.

In the triple jump, senior Brenda Faluade finished in first with an NCAA Regional qualifying mark. In the 800-meter, senior Ginou Etienne finished a hair before sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy, as they claimed first and second, respectively. Both finished with NCAA Regional qualifying marks.

Sophomore Kaitlin Nazario recorded a third place finish in the javelin throw. The women’s 4X100 meter and the women’s 4X400 meter relay teams recorded respective third place finishes.

Next up is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...