Men’s Tennis: Crunch time for the ‘Canes

The No. 33 Miami Hurricanes went into this weekend looking to extend their one match win streak to three and take some momentum into the ACC Tournament.

Although they put forth a valiant effort, the Hurricanes were unable to cash in against the No. 11 Wake Forest Demon Deacons, losing 4-3.

“We didn’t play very well today in the doubles matches,” Head Coach Mario Rincon said. “But we came back strong in singles competition. We had opportunities to win the match. Nevertheless, our team competed hard and I’m proud of them.”

Despite the winning efforts of their No. 2 doubles pair of Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian, Miami dropped two of the three doubles matches, losing the doubles point. Despite this, Miami looked to cash in during singles play and steal a much needed road win. But, things did not roll Miami’s way.

Miami’s top three singles players-Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Josh Cohen-cruised to victory in straight sets, but the team’s players could not overcome their opponents.

The loss was the fourth loss in the last five matches, and it lowered the Hurricanes to below .500 to 10-11 on the season and 5-5 in ACC play. The problem with this is that the Hurricanes have been a hot and cold or hit and miss team this season, losing and winning in streaks.

This is quite problematic, as the ACC Tournament is right around the corner and the ACC is the most potent and dangerous conference in all of NCAA tennis. The Hurricanes play only the No. 24 North Carolina State Wolfpack before the start of the ACC Tournament. It will be important for the Hurricanes to win that match, so they can attempt to capture some momentum heading into the most crucial matches of the season.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...