don’t wanna just be another trophy wife?

I’m a senior here at UM, and I’m going to graduate in less than a month with a degree in psychology. There’s just one problem…I’m totally terrified, and I have no clue what I want to do with my life. All my friends seem to have so much direction-they’re going to medical school, law school, and graduate school, or they have great jobs lined up. Not me. I’m beginning to think there’s nothing out there for me. I kind of want to stay in college for the rest of my life. Is this normal? Am I crazy? Maybe I’d be better off as a trophy wife…

~Freaked Out Senior

Dear Reader,

Please don’t fret-you’re not nuts! As a matter of fact, you’re in good company-even the trophy wife dream isn’t completely off the wall. Have you taken a good look around? Yeah, looks like a good percentage of the tanorexic girls on this campus are just here to find themselves a sugar daddy. But you and I both know you can do better, even if you haven’t landed that six-figure salary yet.

Frankly, I’m more sketched out when I meet college students who do know exactly what they want in life. I think it’s a little spooky and, quite frankly, rather unlikely. Other than crazy overachievers who do have a pretty clear path ahead of them (you know the type: in kindergarten they declared that they wanted to be a doctor, and now…well, they’re off to Johns Hopkins), most people change jobs like they change their underwear. OK, maybe not that often, but they’re no more secure in their future than you.

I once asked my mother what her ambitions were as a child, and she replied, “Honey, I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.” The truth is, life isn’t black and white, and there isn’t always a clear course ahead of us.

No one can tell you what to do, and the only person that can make you happy is you. This may not be exactly what you wanted to hear, I know, but all is not lost. While your dream job isn’t going to fall in your lap, there are people who can help you figure out where to begin.

Have you been to a little hidden gem I like to call the Toppel Career Center? A diamond in the rough, I know-turns out these people will not only help you find your calling in life, they’ll actually help you get a job! Who’d’a’thunk it? Visit their website at www.miami.edu/toppel, or drop by their office in the UC. They’ll be a big help, I promise.

Most importantly, remember that it’s totally normal to feel a little lost-you’re a grown up now (rather alarming, I know). And hey, you can always fall back on that sugar daddy…

Best of Luck!

Fact’o’the Day: A man’s beard grows fastest when he anticipates sex. So basically…always.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...