UM student receives debate award

Jodie Barkin, a senior and captain of the debate team, was recently honored as one of 30 members of the Scholastic All-American Debate Team at the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship, which took place March 20 at the University of Oklahoma.

The membership is awarded based on a debaters’ balance of academic achievement and community service. Barkin has thrived in both these areas while at UM.

Barkin, who is studying political science, plans to go to the Miller School of Medicine as a member of the Medical Scholars Program upon graduation. The Medical Scholars Program is a seven- to eight-year program offered to UM students with at least a 3.7 GPA.

Barkin helps coordinate the Miami-Dade Urban Debate League High School Tournaments, interning at the Center for Ethics and Public Service at UM’s Law School and working as a teaching assistant.

Barkin told The Miami Hurricane that he could not have achieved the award without the help of Dave Steinberg, a lecturer at the School of Communication and the debate team’s adviser.

Not sure of what he wants to do in the future, Barkin expressed interest in orthopedics and sports medicine and eventually a career in civil or public service.

Compiled by Karyn Meshbane

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...