UM student receives debate award

Jodie Barkin, a senior and captain of the debate team, was recently honored as one of 30 members of the Scholastic All-American Debate Team at the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship, which took place March 20 at the University of Oklahoma.

The membership is awarded based on a debaters’ balance of academic achievement and community service. Barkin has thrived in both these areas while at UM.

Barkin, who is studying political science, plans to go to the Miller School of Medicine as a member of the Medical Scholars Program upon graduation. The Medical Scholars Program is a seven- to eight-year program offered to UM students with at least a 3.7 GPA.

Barkin helps coordinate the Miami-Dade Urban Debate League High School Tournaments, interning at the Center for Ethics and Public Service at UM’s Law School and working as a teaching assistant.

Barkin told The Miami Hurricane that he could not have achieved the award without the help of Dave Steinberg, a lecturer at the School of Communication and the debate team’s adviser.

Not sure of what he wants to do in the future, Barkin expressed interest in orthopedics and sports medicine and eventually a career in civil or public service.

Compiled by Karyn Meshbane

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...