UM student receives debate award

Jodie Barkin, a senior and captain of the debate team, was recently honored as one of 30 members of the Scholastic All-American Debate Team at the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship, which took place March 20 at the University of Oklahoma.

The membership is awarded based on a debaters’ balance of academic achievement and community service. Barkin has thrived in both these areas while at UM.

Barkin, who is studying political science, plans to go to the Miller School of Medicine as a member of the Medical Scholars Program upon graduation. The Medical Scholars Program is a seven- to eight-year program offered to UM students with at least a 3.7 GPA.

Barkin helps coordinate the Miami-Dade Urban Debate League High School Tournaments, interning at the Center for Ethics and Public Service at UM’s Law School and working as a teaching assistant.

Barkin told The Miami Hurricane that he could not have achieved the award without the help of Dave Steinberg, a lecturer at the School of Communication and the debate team’s adviser.

Not sure of what he wants to do in the future, Barkin expressed interest in orthopedics and sports medicine and eventually a career in civil or public service.

Compiled by Karyn Meshbane

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...