UM Police remind you that theft of unattended and unsecured property is the number one crime on campus!

Each month, 50-80% of all crime that occurs on the Coral Gables campus involves the theft of unattended or unsecured property. Simple, non-confrontational theft is generally categorized as a “crime of opportunity.” Most crimes of opportunity are committed by amateur criminals or the generally law-abiding citizen who see an opportunity and thinks he/ she can take advantage without being caught. The simple solution is to remove the opportunity by not leaving property unattended or unsecured, not even for “one minute.” If your property is not immediately in your possession, lock it. In addition, do not leave dorm room doors open or unlocked if you are not in the room. It takes less than 7 seconds for someone to enter a room, steal a laptop or other property, and calmly walk away. To combat simple theft, the UM Police Department currently runs several programs including a free engraving program, free DataDot program, free bicycle lock program, free bicycle registry program, discounted anti-theft device program, theft awareness information program, and several others. Further information on theft reduction programs and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/police, or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team dropped the opening set befo ...

Miami track and field punched three more tickets to the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships on the final ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...