UM Police remind you that theft of unattended and unsecured property is the number one crime on campus!

Each month, 50-80% of all crime that occurs on the Coral Gables campus involves the theft of unattended or unsecured property. Simple, non-confrontational theft is generally categorized as a “crime of opportunity.” Most crimes of opportunity are committed by amateur criminals or the generally law-abiding citizen who see an opportunity and thinks he/ she can take advantage without being caught. The simple solution is to remove the opportunity by not leaving property unattended or unsecured, not even for “one minute.” If your property is not immediately in your possession, lock it. In addition, do not leave dorm room doors open or unlocked if you are not in the room. It takes less than 7 seconds for someone to enter a room, steal a laptop or other property, and calmly walk away. To combat simple theft, the UM Police Department currently runs several programs including a free engraving program, free DataDot program, free bicycle lock program, free bicycle registry program, discounted anti-theft device program, theft awareness information program, and several others. Further information on theft reduction programs and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/police, or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...