UM Police remind you that theft of unattended and unsecured property is the number one crime on campus!

Each month, 50-80% of all crime that occurs on the Coral Gables campus involves the theft of unattended or unsecured property. Simple, non-confrontational theft is generally categorized as a “crime of opportunity.” Most crimes of opportunity are committed by amateur criminals or the generally law-abiding citizen who see an opportunity and thinks he/ she can take advantage without being caught. The simple solution is to remove the opportunity by not leaving property unattended or unsecured, not even for “one minute.” If your property is not immediately in your possession, lock it. In addition, do not leave dorm room doors open or unlocked if you are not in the room. It takes less than 7 seconds for someone to enter a room, steal a laptop or other property, and calmly walk away. To combat simple theft, the UM Police Department currently runs several programs including a free engraving program, free DataDot program, free bicycle lock program, free bicycle registry program, discounted anti-theft device program, theft awareness information program, and several others. Further information on theft reduction programs and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/police, or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...