Sports Briefs

Baseball: Walk off victory

It took a bottom of the tenth inning rally for the Miami Hurricanes to defeat the Florida International University Golden Panthers, but the Hurricanes did get the job done.

The Golden Panthers were done in by a pair of freshmen, as third baseman Mark Sobolewski’s two-run homerun and shortstop Ryan Jackson’s two-out game-winning single in the bottom of the tenth helped the ‘Canes overcome the Golden Panthers 10-9. Additionally, sophomore Yonder Alonso put together yet another strong performance for the Hurricanes.

Pitcher Danny Gil picked up the win on one inning’s work, despite allowing two players to cross home plate in the top of the tenth.

Track and Field: Hurricanes Complete Florida Relays

The University of Miami track and field squads are sizzling, especially the women’s squad. At the recent Florida Relays, senior Brenda Faluade took first place in the long jump, while setting a new school record mark of 6.53 meters. In the same competition, senior Amy Seward placed second, and sophomore Viktoria Andonova finished fourth. Additionally, senior Ginou Etienne took second in the 400-meters, while sophomore Krista Simkins finished sixth. Also, junior Khadija Talley earned a first place finish in the discuss, while junior Kaitlin Nazario took second in the javelin.

The UM 4X400-meter relay team finished fourth. The success of the squad has propelled them to 14th in the latest Coaches’ Poll.

On the men’s side, the 4X800-meter relay team finished second overall.

Swimming and Diving: Dreyer competes at World Championships

Junior Jenna Dreyer of the University of Miami recently competed in the 2007 World Championships in Melbourne, Australia. A native of Port Elizabeth, South Africa, Dreyer competed for the South African team.

Dreyer put together an impressive showing, as she finished 13th in the one-meter springboard preliminary and 23th in the three-meter preliminary.

After her run at the Worlds, Dreyer will get set to compete at the USA Diving International Grand Prix at the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex from May 9th – 13th.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...