Sports Briefs

Baseball: Walk off victory

It took a bottom of the tenth inning rally for the Miami Hurricanes to defeat the Florida International University Golden Panthers, but the Hurricanes did get the job done.

The Golden Panthers were done in by a pair of freshmen, as third baseman Mark Sobolewski’s two-run homerun and shortstop Ryan Jackson’s two-out game-winning single in the bottom of the tenth helped the ‘Canes overcome the Golden Panthers 10-9. Additionally, sophomore Yonder Alonso put together yet another strong performance for the Hurricanes.

Pitcher Danny Gil picked up the win on one inning’s work, despite allowing two players to cross home plate in the top of the tenth.

Track and Field: Hurricanes Complete Florida Relays

The University of Miami track and field squads are sizzling, especially the women’s squad. At the recent Florida Relays, senior Brenda Faluade took first place in the long jump, while setting a new school record mark of 6.53 meters. In the same competition, senior Amy Seward placed second, and sophomore Viktoria Andonova finished fourth. Additionally, senior Ginou Etienne took second in the 400-meters, while sophomore Krista Simkins finished sixth. Also, junior Khadija Talley earned a first place finish in the discuss, while junior Kaitlin Nazario took second in the javelin.

The UM 4X400-meter relay team finished fourth. The success of the squad has propelled them to 14th in the latest Coaches’ Poll.

On the men’s side, the 4X800-meter relay team finished second overall.

Swimming and Diving: Dreyer competes at World Championships

Junior Jenna Dreyer of the University of Miami recently competed in the 2007 World Championships in Melbourne, Australia. A native of Port Elizabeth, South Africa, Dreyer competed for the South African team.

Dreyer put together an impressive showing, as she finished 13th in the one-meter springboard preliminary and 23th in the three-meter preliminary.

After her run at the Worlds, Dreyer will get set to compete at the USA Diving International Grand Prix at the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex from May 9th – 13th.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...