New York Times reporter comments on racism in sports

With a large projection screen displaying the latest on the Don Imus controversy as his backdrop, New York Times reporter Bill Rhoden’s Tuesday discussion at the School of Communication took on a new subject in light of current events.

Originally planned to be a question and answer session for students interested in how to break into sports reporting, Rhoden’s time morphed into a discussion of the situation between the Rutgers women’s basketball team and radio host Don Imus’ comments.

“Things happen on the spot, you have to be very loose,” Rhoden said, surrendering a good portion of his time to Rutgers University’s press conference. “We have to deal with the news of the day.”

The news of the day was Rutgers University’s women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer’s passionate response to Imus’ controversial on-air comments that her players were “nappy-headed hoes.”

Taking a seat in the second row of Shojaee Hall, Rhoden watched the press conference, taking in every word Stringer said. When her remarks concluded, Rhoden took the floor and denounced Imus’ actions.

“I don’t like bigotry and I have no tolerance for [bigots]. I don’t like bigots,” Rhoden said. “Sometimes as journalists we get so wrapped up in the story we forget what we stand for.”

Rhoden had his own verbal altercation with Imus in 1999 after writing a column criticizing the shock jock’s tactics.

In response, Imus called Rhoden “a New York Times quota hire.”

During his remarks, Rhoden referenced the perpetual racism that is still felt in the sports industry 60 years after Jackie Robinson became the first African-American baseball player.

“In 2007, I am one of two of three African Americans in the press box,” Rhoden said. “In sports, desperation trumps morale. When you prove you can bring in ratings, the more stuff you can do.”

Rhoden attributed Imus’ success as the sole reason he received a two-week suspension from airwaves as opposed to being taken off the air indefinitely. At the time of publication Wednesday, he had lost several sponsors and MSNBC dropped their simulcast of his show.

“We have become anesthetized to hurt feelings,” Rhoden said. “That is why Imus said what he said.”

For Rhoden, Imus’ remarks were not simply racist, they were derogatory towards all women.

Before the Rutgers’s press conference began, Rhoden stood in front of 200 students to read from Sojourner Truth’s speech “Ain’t I a Woman?”

Moments later, Stringer was on national television emphasizing the same point that Rhoden was alluding to: Imus’ comments were not just offensive to black women, but to all women who worked hard to achieve success.

“The Imus thing will die down. The challenge for all of us is, ‘At what point do you get ahead of the curve?'” Rhoden said. “What will we know in 20 years that I need to know now?”

Michael Viera may be contacted at m.viera@umiami.edu.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...