‘Grindhouse’ slips by MPAA ratings

The new film “Grindhouse” is double feature extravaganza penned by two of the more creative filmmakers of our time. It is a three-hour thrill ride (with fake previews sandwiched in between) that has its peaks and valleys. The directors, Robert Rodriguez (“Sin City”) and Quentin Tarantino (“Kill Bill”), are ideal to revive the exploitation genre: low-budget, low-culture films that often ran in double features and were fueled by promises of graphic sex and violence.

Rodriguez’s half, “Planet Terror,” is a straight zombie film that has a head up on other undead films because the two central characters (Freddie Rodriguez and Rose McGowan) are strong and we care about their relationship. The second film, Tarantino’s “Death Proof,” is the better half. It’s a car film (á la “Vanishing Point”) and a slasher rolled into one and features one of the most magnetic characters of the year. Tarantino’s villain is Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell), an affable and eloquent gentleman until he gets behind the wheel of his Chevy Nova. Mike is charming, psychotic, and humorous, and it’s hard to root against him, even when he kills innocent victims with his car.

Which brings up the issue of the other characters in “Death Proof.” The two sets of girls that Mike preys upon are noisy and obnoxious (excluding Vanessa Ferlito), and Tarantino’s trademark dialogue sounds annoying and forced coming out of their mouths. However, Tarantino’s half ultimately succeeds because it is so absorbing once Mike is on the screen and because it contains one of the best car chases in film history. Rodriguez’s film is decent, but it really adds nothing new to its genre.

Though Rodriguez is hampered by an unoriginal story and Tarantino is held back by weak supporting characters and uneven pacing, “Grindhouse” is never boring and is essential viewing for zombie fans or muscle car aficionados.

Gabe Habash can be reached at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...