‘Grindhouse’ slips by MPAA ratings

The new film “Grindhouse” is double feature extravaganza penned by two of the more creative filmmakers of our time. It is a three-hour thrill ride (with fake previews sandwiched in between) that has its peaks and valleys. The directors, Robert Rodriguez (“Sin City”) and Quentin Tarantino (“Kill Bill”), are ideal to revive the exploitation genre: low-budget, low-culture films that often ran in double features and were fueled by promises of graphic sex and violence.

Rodriguez’s half, “Planet Terror,” is a straight zombie film that has a head up on other undead films because the two central characters (Freddie Rodriguez and Rose McGowan) are strong and we care about their relationship. The second film, Tarantino’s “Death Proof,” is the better half. It’s a car film (á la “Vanishing Point”) and a slasher rolled into one and features one of the most magnetic characters of the year. Tarantino’s villain is Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell), an affable and eloquent gentleman until he gets behind the wheel of his Chevy Nova. Mike is charming, psychotic, and humorous, and it’s hard to root against him, even when he kills innocent victims with his car.

Which brings up the issue of the other characters in “Death Proof.” The two sets of girls that Mike preys upon are noisy and obnoxious (excluding Vanessa Ferlito), and Tarantino’s trademark dialogue sounds annoying and forced coming out of their mouths. However, Tarantino’s half ultimately succeeds because it is so absorbing once Mike is on the screen and because it contains one of the best car chases in film history. Rodriguez’s film is decent, but it really adds nothing new to its genre.

Though Rodriguez is hampered by an unoriginal story and Tarantino is held back by weak supporting characters and uneven pacing, “Grindhouse” is never boring and is essential viewing for zombie fans or muscle car aficionados.

Gabe Habash can be reached at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...