UM students contribute to new Herald videocasts

Daily video podcasts, or VIDcasts have become a new feature of The Miami Herald.

What the 5!, the name given to the VIDcast, provides a daily dose of stories South Florida is talking about and accessing online. Linked video, quizzes and forums will also be added.

J.R. Biersmith, a graduate student alumnus from the class of ’06, and Toni Gonzalez, a nighttime DJ on WHDR 93 Rock, host the VIDcasts.

Broadcast journalism students at the University of Miami have the opportunity to assist with the production of the daily VIDcasts, which are recorded at the School of Communication.

All segments of What the 5! are available free of charge and may be downloaded to iPods or other mp3 players.

To view segments of What the 5!, visit http://www.miami.com/static/media/whatthe5/index.html.

-Compiled by Megan Ondrizek

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...