UM students contribute to new Herald videocasts

Daily video podcasts, or VIDcasts have become a new feature of The Miami Herald.

What the 5!, the name given to the VIDcast, provides a daily dose of stories South Florida is talking about and accessing online. Linked video, quizzes and forums will also be added.

J.R. Biersmith, a graduate student alumnus from the class of ’06, and Toni Gonzalez, a nighttime DJ on WHDR 93 Rock, host the VIDcasts.

Broadcast journalism students at the University of Miami have the opportunity to assist with the production of the daily VIDcasts, which are recorded at the School of Communication.

All segments of What the 5! are available free of charge and may be downloaded to iPods or other mp3 players.

To view segments of What the 5!, visit http://www.miami.com/static/media/whatthe5/index.html.

-Compiled by Megan Ondrizek

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...