Swimming and Diving: Hurricanes have a strong showing at Championships

The University of Miami came ready to compete at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships, where they were rewarded with several individual honors.

On the women’s side, junior Jenna Dreyer captured All-American honors in the one-meter springboard after putting together a bronze medal finish. In the same competition, senior Heather Bounds garnered an All-American honorable mention after finishing in 16th place in the finals.

Bounds also earned an All-American honorable mention in the women’s three-meter diving preliminaries by finishing in 16th place. Freshman Brittany Viola also earned an All-American honorable mention in the three-meter diving preliminaries with a 14th place finish in the event.

“We [Bounds, Dreyer and Viola] are close,” Bounds said. “They are like my family. I am very proud of them and their accomplishments this year. Jenna still has another year, and she will probably do even better next season. As for Brittany, she is still a freshman. She has great times ahead of her.”

Bounds went on to earn All-American honors for a fifth place finish in the 10-meter platform, while Viola earned All-American honors for a sixth place finish in the same event.

On the men’s side Ruben captured two All-America honors and one All-American honorable mention. Ross’s honorable mention came in the three-meter springboard after a ninth place finish. As for his All-America honors, Ross earned those with an eighth place finish in the one-meter springboard and a fourth place finish in the 10-meter platform.

The performances by the men’s and women’s divers at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships concluded a successful season for the Hurricanes.

“This was a great season,” Bounds said. “It was the most fun season I have had while here. I learned a lot, and I am thankful for the opportunity I was given. This was the best season I have had.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...