Swimming and Diving: Hurricanes have a strong showing at Championships

The University of Miami came ready to compete at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships, where they were rewarded with several individual honors.

On the women’s side, junior Jenna Dreyer captured All-American honors in the one-meter springboard after putting together a bronze medal finish. In the same competition, senior Heather Bounds garnered an All-American honorable mention after finishing in 16th place in the finals.

Bounds also earned an All-American honorable mention in the women’s three-meter diving preliminaries by finishing in 16th place. Freshman Brittany Viola also earned an All-American honorable mention in the three-meter diving preliminaries with a 14th place finish in the event.

“We [Bounds, Dreyer and Viola] are close,” Bounds said. “They are like my family. I am very proud of them and their accomplishments this year. Jenna still has another year, and she will probably do even better next season. As for Brittany, she is still a freshman. She has great times ahead of her.”

Bounds went on to earn All-American honors for a fifth place finish in the 10-meter platform, while Viola earned All-American honors for a sixth place finish in the same event.

On the men’s side Ruben captured two All-America honors and one All-American honorable mention. Ross’s honorable mention came in the three-meter springboard after a ninth place finish. As for his All-America honors, Ross earned those with an eighth place finish in the one-meter springboard and a fourth place finish in the 10-meter platform.

The performances by the men’s and women’s divers at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships concluded a successful season for the Hurricanes.

“This was a great season,” Bounds said. “It was the most fun season I have had while here. I learned a lot, and I am thankful for the opportunity I was given. This was the best season I have had.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...