Swimming and Diving: Hurricanes have a strong showing at Championships

The University of Miami came ready to compete at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships, where they were rewarded with several individual honors.

On the women’s side, junior Jenna Dreyer captured All-American honors in the one-meter springboard after putting together a bronze medal finish. In the same competition, senior Heather Bounds garnered an All-American honorable mention after finishing in 16th place in the finals.

Bounds also earned an All-American honorable mention in the women’s three-meter diving preliminaries by finishing in 16th place. Freshman Brittany Viola also earned an All-American honorable mention in the three-meter diving preliminaries with a 14th place finish in the event.

“We [Bounds, Dreyer and Viola] are close,” Bounds said. “They are like my family. I am very proud of them and their accomplishments this year. Jenna still has another year, and she will probably do even better next season. As for Brittany, she is still a freshman. She has great times ahead of her.”

Bounds went on to earn All-American honors for a fifth place finish in the 10-meter platform, while Viola earned All-American honors for a sixth place finish in the same event.

On the men’s side Ruben captured two All-America honors and one All-American honorable mention. Ross’s honorable mention came in the three-meter springboard after a ninth place finish. As for his All-America honors, Ross earned those with an eighth place finish in the one-meter springboard and a fourth place finish in the 10-meter platform.

The performances by the men’s and women’s divers at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships concluded a successful season for the Hurricanes.

“This was a great season,” Bounds said. “It was the most fun season I have had while here. I learned a lot, and I am thankful for the opportunity I was given. This was the best season I have had.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...