Swimming and Diving: Hurricanes have a strong showing at Championships

The University of Miami came ready to compete at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships, where they were rewarded with several individual honors.

On the women’s side, junior Jenna Dreyer captured All-American honors in the one-meter springboard after putting together a bronze medal finish. In the same competition, senior Heather Bounds garnered an All-American honorable mention after finishing in 16th place in the finals.

Bounds also earned an All-American honorable mention in the women’s three-meter diving preliminaries by finishing in 16th place. Freshman Brittany Viola also earned an All-American honorable mention in the three-meter diving preliminaries with a 14th place finish in the event.

“We [Bounds, Dreyer and Viola] are close,” Bounds said. “They are like my family. I am very proud of them and their accomplishments this year. Jenna still has another year, and she will probably do even better next season. As for Brittany, she is still a freshman. She has great times ahead of her.”

Bounds went on to earn All-American honors for a fifth place finish in the 10-meter platform, while Viola earned All-American honors for a sixth place finish in the same event.

On the men’s side Ruben captured two All-America honors and one All-American honorable mention. Ross’s honorable mention came in the three-meter springboard after a ninth place finish. As for his All-America honors, Ross earned those with an eighth place finish in the one-meter springboard and a fourth place finish in the 10-meter platform.

The performances by the men’s and women’s divers at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships concluded a successful season for the Hurricanes.

“This was a great season,” Bounds said. “It was the most fun season I have had while here. I learned a lot, and I am thankful for the opportunity I was given. This was the best season I have had.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...