Swimming and Diving: Hurricanes have a strong showing at Championships

The University of Miami came ready to compete at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships, where they were rewarded with several individual honors.

On the women’s side, junior Jenna Dreyer captured All-American honors in the one-meter springboard after putting together a bronze medal finish. In the same competition, senior Heather Bounds garnered an All-American honorable mention after finishing in 16th place in the finals.

Bounds also earned an All-American honorable mention in the women’s three-meter diving preliminaries by finishing in 16th place. Freshman Brittany Viola also earned an All-American honorable mention in the three-meter diving preliminaries with a 14th place finish in the event.

“We [Bounds, Dreyer and Viola] are close,” Bounds said. “They are like my family. I am very proud of them and their accomplishments this year. Jenna still has another year, and she will probably do even better next season. As for Brittany, she is still a freshman. She has great times ahead of her.”

Bounds went on to earn All-American honors for a fifth place finish in the 10-meter platform, while Viola earned All-American honors for a sixth place finish in the same event.

On the men’s side Ruben captured two All-America honors and one All-American honorable mention. Ross’s honorable mention came in the three-meter springboard after a ninth place finish. As for his All-America honors, Ross earned those with an eighth place finish in the one-meter springboard and a fourth place finish in the 10-meter platform.

The performances by the men’s and women’s divers at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships concluded a successful season for the Hurricanes.

“This was a great season,” Bounds said. “It was the most fun season I have had while here. I learned a lot, and I am thankful for the opportunity I was given. This was the best season I have had.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...