Police Beat

Pick up The Hurricane every Friday to read the Public Safety call log.

For further information on any of safety services, visit Public Safety’s website at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

CALL LOG

WEDNESDAY MARCH 28
1:00 a.m. Vandalism, Pearson Res. College
4:39 a.m. Alcohol violation, Ponce Garage
12:30 p.m. Theft, James L. Knight Physics Building
1:50 p.m. Theft, James L. Knight Physics Building

THURSDAY MARCH 29
N/A Possession of Marijuana, 5900 San Amaro Dr.

SATURDAY MARCH 31
3:10 a.m., Alcohol violation, Fraternity Row
9:15 a.m., Theft, Stanford Residential College

SUNDAY APRIL 1
2:08 a.m., Alcohol violation, 1100 Stanford Drive

MONDAY APRIL 2
9:00 a.m., Theft, Stanford Residential College

SAFETY TIP

The UM Police Department reminds you to be weary of fraud!

Millions of Americans fall victim to hundreds of different types of fraud every year.

Some frauds may cause nothing more than embarrassment, while other frauds can cost a person everything they have. Fraud may be nothing new, but since the advent of computers, fraud has been steadily on the rise. In fact, it has been estimated that 60-90% of all incidents of fraud were committed with the help of a computer. Estimates on the annual cost of fraud and the number of victims greatly vary; however, the indisputable fact is that fraud is very common in American society. Therefore, the best solution is awareness. While some fraud schemes can be quite elaborate, many are very simple and play off of the general public’s inattention to detail, hesitancy to confront questionable situations and general lack of effort to actively protect one’s self. As a general rule of thumb, if something seems too good to be true, is not being done logically or is against standard business practice, or just seems wrong, more than likely something is wrong. Consider the following general fraud avoidance strategies. Guard your personal information; don’t provide any personal information to any seller/ business/ charity unless you know exactly who you are dealing with. Pay the safest way; credit cards are the safest way to pay for online purchases because you can dispute the charges if you never get the goods or services or the offer was misrepresented. Understand the offer; a legitimate seller will give you all the details about the products or services, the total price, the delivery time, the refund and cancellation policies and the terms of any warranty. Resist pressure; a legitimate seller/ business/ charity will be happy to give you time to make a decision. It may be a scam if they demand that you act immediately or won’t take “No” for an answer. Fake cashier checks and money orders are not uncommon; banks may cash or deposit fake checks and then hold you responsible when they discover the problem days later. Further information on fraud is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...