Police Beat

Pick up The Hurricane every Friday to read the Public Safety call log.

For further information on any of safety services, visit Public Safety’s website at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

CALL LOG

WEDNESDAY MARCH 28
1:00 a.m. Vandalism, Pearson Res. College
4:39 a.m. Alcohol violation, Ponce Garage
12:30 p.m. Theft, James L. Knight Physics Building
1:50 p.m. Theft, James L. Knight Physics Building

THURSDAY MARCH 29
N/A Possession of Marijuana, 5900 San Amaro Dr.

SATURDAY MARCH 31
3:10 a.m., Alcohol violation, Fraternity Row
9:15 a.m., Theft, Stanford Residential College

SUNDAY APRIL 1
2:08 a.m., Alcohol violation, 1100 Stanford Drive

MONDAY APRIL 2
9:00 a.m., Theft, Stanford Residential College

SAFETY TIP

The UM Police Department reminds you to be weary of fraud!

Millions of Americans fall victim to hundreds of different types of fraud every year.

Some frauds may cause nothing more than embarrassment, while other frauds can cost a person everything they have. Fraud may be nothing new, but since the advent of computers, fraud has been steadily on the rise. In fact, it has been estimated that 60-90% of all incidents of fraud were committed with the help of a computer. Estimates on the annual cost of fraud and the number of victims greatly vary; however, the indisputable fact is that fraud is very common in American society. Therefore, the best solution is awareness. While some fraud schemes can be quite elaborate, many are very simple and play off of the general public’s inattention to detail, hesitancy to confront questionable situations and general lack of effort to actively protect one’s self. As a general rule of thumb, if something seems too good to be true, is not being done logically or is against standard business practice, or just seems wrong, more than likely something is wrong. Consider the following general fraud avoidance strategies. Guard your personal information; don’t provide any personal information to any seller/ business/ charity unless you know exactly who you are dealing with. Pay the safest way; credit cards are the safest way to pay for online purchases because you can dispute the charges if you never get the goods or services or the offer was misrepresented. Understand the offer; a legitimate seller will give you all the details about the products or services, the total price, the delivery time, the refund and cancellation policies and the terms of any warranty. Resist pressure; a legitimate seller/ business/ charity will be happy to give you time to make a decision. It may be a scam if they demand that you act immediately or won’t take “No” for an answer. Fake cashier checks and money orders are not uncommon; banks may cash or deposit fake checks and then hold you responsible when they discover the problem days later. Further information on fraud is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...