News Briefs

UMNews

Educational Testing Service cancels GRE changes

The Graduate Record Exam changes, two years in the making, have been cancelled by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The changes were scheduled to take place in September and affect the length and format of the exam.

The ETS decided to cancel the changes after a long consultation with the executive committee of the GRE board. Representatives at ETS and members of the GRE board were worried that the new GRE’s lack of convenience and flexibility for test-takers outweighed the benefits of the projected changes.

Though the cancellation of changes came as a surprise to the test prep organizations, Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions and Princeton Review, both organizations believe the cancellation is a positive thing for students.

“Let’s say the changes did go into effect in September, there might have been a lot of problems that popped up,” said Russell Schaffer, senior communications manager at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions. “The cancellation gives students much more breathing room.”

Ayelet Regev, marketing director at the Princeton Review, said she thinks the GRE is fine the way it is. “To us it’s like, why change a winning horse.”

ELSEWhere

FAFSA to be simplified in coming years

Brenda Paiz // The Daily Athenaeum (WVU)

(U-WIRE) MORGANTOWN – The Department of Education and the United States Congress are taking measures to simplify the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to make the process easier for future college freshmen.

The current version of the FAFSA, which most enrolled college students filled out, runs eight pages long and consists of 101 questions.

The new form, introduced by Congress on March 20, will not only provide convenience for current high school seniors, but will also inform students how much or how little they can expect to receive from the government.

West Virginia University freshman Maura Stanley said, “(The simplified form) makes a lot more sense and will provide a lot more ease and comfort throughout the entire process.” Stanley also said the early notification of expected financial aid will leave more time for students and parents to find alternative options for college funding.

The new program, which allows students to apply for early financial aid, made its debut on April 1, according to a statement by Education Secretary Margaret Spellings late last month.

The simplified version will not officially replace the eight-page long application, but it will serve as an alternative for high school seniors, according to Spelling.

ETC.

The winner of the Coral Gables mayoral election on April 10 will be the first elector to serve a four-year term, as voters approved a charter amendment in 2005 to increase the term-amount from two. Incumbent Mayor Don Slesnick will run against George Corrigan, the former mayor who is endorsed by Coral Gables Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 7 and Richard Namon. City commission elections will also take place on April 10.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...