News Briefs

UMNews

Educational Testing Service cancels GRE changes

The Graduate Record Exam changes, two years in the making, have been cancelled by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The changes were scheduled to take place in September and affect the length and format of the exam.

The ETS decided to cancel the changes after a long consultation with the executive committee of the GRE board. Representatives at ETS and members of the GRE board were worried that the new GRE’s lack of convenience and flexibility for test-takers outweighed the benefits of the projected changes.

Though the cancellation of changes came as a surprise to the test prep organizations, Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions and Princeton Review, both organizations believe the cancellation is a positive thing for students.

“Let’s say the changes did go into effect in September, there might have been a lot of problems that popped up,” said Russell Schaffer, senior communications manager at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions. “The cancellation gives students much more breathing room.”

Ayelet Regev, marketing director at the Princeton Review, said she thinks the GRE is fine the way it is. “To us it’s like, why change a winning horse.”

ELSEWhere

FAFSA to be simplified in coming years

Brenda Paiz // The Daily Athenaeum (WVU)

(U-WIRE) MORGANTOWN – The Department of Education and the United States Congress are taking measures to simplify the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to make the process easier for future college freshmen.

The current version of the FAFSA, which most enrolled college students filled out, runs eight pages long and consists of 101 questions.

The new form, introduced by Congress on March 20, will not only provide convenience for current high school seniors, but will also inform students how much or how little they can expect to receive from the government.

West Virginia University freshman Maura Stanley said, “(The simplified form) makes a lot more sense and will provide a lot more ease and comfort throughout the entire process.” Stanley also said the early notification of expected financial aid will leave more time for students and parents to find alternative options for college funding.

The new program, which allows students to apply for early financial aid, made its debut on April 1, according to a statement by Education Secretary Margaret Spellings late last month.

The simplified version will not officially replace the eight-page long application, but it will serve as an alternative for high school seniors, according to Spelling.

ETC.

The winner of the Coral Gables mayoral election on April 10 will be the first elector to serve a four-year term, as voters approved a charter amendment in 2005 to increase the term-amount from two. Incumbent Mayor Don Slesnick will run against George Corrigan, the former mayor who is endorsed by Coral Gables Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 7 and Richard Namon. City commission elections will also take place on April 10.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...