Letter to the Editor: Greeks may not be better than others, but neither are non-Greeks

In response to “South Beach vs. South Park: The UM Cultural Divide,” I just have one question: why is it acceptable for non-Greeks to criticize members of fraternities and sororities for acting “better than others” when the same attitude is present on the other end of the debate? I have to admit, there was a time after I joined a sorority here at UM that I worried about how my Greek membership would affect me. Unless I was around other Greeks I was hesitant to wear letters because I knew that in the eyes of many non-Greeks, sorority membership means paying for friends and going to parties.

After a while I realized that there is no reason to be ashamed of belonging to a Greek organization, at least for me. Without my sorority I would have never met my closest friends here at school. Yes, I occasionally go to the grove on Thursdays, but only after I watch The Office. I may be fascinated by what K-Fed is doing next, but I read TIME Magazine.

I know that many Greeks are conceited about their membership. But I will challenge anyone who tries to argue that the same is not true of the other side. Being Greek doesn’t make you better than everyone else, but not being Greek doesn’t prove your individuality or superiority, either.

Blair Brettschneider

Freshman

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...