Letter to the Editor: Greeks may not be better than others, but neither are non-Greeks

In response to “South Beach vs. South Park: The UM Cultural Divide,” I just have one question: why is it acceptable for non-Greeks to criticize members of fraternities and sororities for acting “better than others” when the same attitude is present on the other end of the debate? I have to admit, there was a time after I joined a sorority here at UM that I worried about how my Greek membership would affect me. Unless I was around other Greeks I was hesitant to wear letters because I knew that in the eyes of many non-Greeks, sorority membership means paying for friends and going to parties.

After a while I realized that there is no reason to be ashamed of belonging to a Greek organization, at least for me. Without my sorority I would have never met my closest friends here at school. Yes, I occasionally go to the grove on Thursdays, but only after I watch The Office. I may be fascinated by what K-Fed is doing next, but I read TIME Magazine.

I know that many Greeks are conceited about their membership. But I will challenge anyone who tries to argue that the same is not true of the other side. Being Greek doesn’t make you better than everyone else, but not being Greek doesn’t prove your individuality or superiority, either.

Blair Brettschneider

Freshman

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...