City offers proposals to keep ‘Canes at Orange Bowl, awaits UM response

The future of the Orange Bowl remains up in the air, and the final decision still rests with University of Miami officials.

According to an article in The Miami Herald Sunday, the City of Miami has made two proposals to the university in a final attempt to keep the Hurricanes from moving to Dolphin Stadium.

Miami City Manager Pete Hernandez told The Herald that the proposals were made to UM late Friday and the university indicated it would respond in two to three weeks.

The proposals involve scaling back renovations, but officials still consider the move to Dolphin Stadium likely-mostly because the Hurricanes would make millions more in profit annually by moving there.

Hernandez also told The Herald that the proposals consist of different levels of scale backs, which would cost between $150 million and $200 million. Because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations, Hernandez could not go into specifics.

“We’re trying very hard with the city to see if there’s a way to do the project on a bit of a scale-back basis,” Paul Dee, UM’s athletic director, was quoted as saying in The Herald.

“The university needs time to review the [proposals].”

UM has been in serious negotiations with Dolphin Stadium for weeks and has resolved most of the issues. The Herald reported that Dolphin Stadium officials are optimistic, but have received no commitment from UM.

-Compiled by Megan Ondrizek

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...