City offers proposals to keep ‘Canes at Orange Bowl, awaits UM response

The future of the Orange Bowl remains up in the air, and the final decision still rests with University of Miami officials.

According to an article in The Miami Herald Sunday, the City of Miami has made two proposals to the university in a final attempt to keep the Hurricanes from moving to Dolphin Stadium.

Miami City Manager Pete Hernandez told The Herald that the proposals were made to UM late Friday and the university indicated it would respond in two to three weeks.

The proposals involve scaling back renovations, but officials still consider the move to Dolphin Stadium likely-mostly because the Hurricanes would make millions more in profit annually by moving there.

Hernandez also told The Herald that the proposals consist of different levels of scale backs, which would cost between $150 million and $200 million. Because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations, Hernandez could not go into specifics.

“We’re trying very hard with the city to see if there’s a way to do the project on a bit of a scale-back basis,” Paul Dee, UM’s athletic director, was quoted as saying in The Herald.

“The university needs time to review the [proposals].”

UM has been in serious negotiations with Dolphin Stadium for weeks and has resolved most of the issues. The Herald reported that Dolphin Stadium officials are optimistic, but have received no commitment from UM.

-Compiled by Megan Ondrizek

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...