Women’s Tennis: ‘Canes sweep weekend

The 9th-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team barely broke a sweat over the weekend in handily sweeping ACC foes Virginia Tech on Friday and No. 49 Virginia on Sunday afternoon.

The Hurricanes (15-3, 6-1) welcomed freshman star Laura Vallverdu back into doubles action on Friday as she teamed with Audra Cohen in the No. 1 spot to defeat the Hokies’ Inga Beermann and Jessica Long 8-0. The UM pair are currently No. 16 in the nation in doubles.

Audrey Banada and Romy Farah, ranked 22nd, won their doubles match 8-4 and Caren Seenauth and Gina Sabatino teamed up to win 8-2.

In singles action, the ‘Canes rout continued, sweeping all six matches in two sets apiece, the closest set being Jessica’s long first set 6-4 loss to No. 38 Audrey Banada. Gino Sabatino earned her first sweep of the season, beating Virginia Tech’s Abbey Walker 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 5 spot.

Virginia Tech fell to 10-9 with the loss and has yet to win in ACC play.

Sunday’s match against Virginia (8-8, 2-5) saw a Cavaliers team currently ranked 49th in the country and coming off a big win against NC State. The Hurricanes could not be stopped, however, sweeping the Cavaliers 7-0.

“I expected to win, without a doubt,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “But to win 7-0, that was a bit surprising.”

Yaroshuk-Tews believes the ‘Canes were able to dominate because they were more physical than their opponents

“Physically our girls were a big stronger today,” she added. “When you’re in good condition, you’re able to play very mentally sound tennis.”

No. 1 ranked Audra Cohen easily won her match against the Cavaliers’ Jennifer Stevens 6-1, 6-0.

“I played well today,” she said. “[Stevens is] from Miami and probably had more fans here than me, but I played a solid match from beginning to end.”

Cohen’s match was finished almost as quickly as it began, but No. 16 Laura Vallverdu, after winning her first set 6-1, had a fight to the finish in her second set before finally closing out Lindsey Pereira 7-6. A brief controversy over calling faults seemed to throw Vallverdu off her game slightly in the second set.

In other action, Banada defeated Maggie Yahner 6-3, 6-1; Romy Farah won in the No. 3 spot against Britney Larson 6-3, 6-5; Sabatino beat Amanda Rales 6-4, 7-5; and Caren Seenauth won in the No. 6 spot against the Cavaliers’ Caroline Hammond 6-2, 6-1.

“I’ve been having a bit of a tough time with my own game lately,” Banada said. “So it was important to have no unforced errors today.”

Currently tied for second in the ACC, the ‘Canes go on the road for a pair of tough matches against No. 20 Duke and No. 13 Maryland before returning home to close out with Maryland and Boston College.

“We can go to the top from here,” Cohen said. “We just need to keep it simple.”

Brian Yates may be contacted at b.yates@umiami.edu.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...