Weird News

Text Message Competition

The first text messaging competition will take place in Los Angeles on Saturday April 7. Only the most skilled text-message player will win the race of being deemed the fastest text-messaging champion. The key element to this competition is that popular text shorthand (such as LOL or GTG) will not be allowed. The competition is being organized by LG Electronics. Players will be competing in groups for speed and accuracy and the winner will be awarded $10,000 and an invitation to the finals in New York City on April 21.

Scientist research: Liquor before beer, you’re in the clear?

Most drinkers have, at some point or another, experienced that horrible hangover, but many times they blame the “mixology” of it all. The saying “beer before liquor, never been sicker; liquor before beer, you’re in the clear” is a perfect example. The assistant professor of nutrition, Russel Marz, at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, has been conducting scientific research to see if the phrase is actually a fact. While she hasn’t found any fact to the statement, what is true is that mixing different kinds of alcoholic beverages may cause problems for people who have allergies to compounds found in such drinks. For example, the tannins in red wine can cause headaches. For a person allergic to wheat and rye, mixing beer and liquor could take a greater toll than sticking to one type of drink would. But Marz does not believe that the order in which you consume affects how you’ll feel the next day.

Wine flavored Ice cream

New York’s Mercer’s Ice Cream in Boonville has turned wine into ice cream. The ice cream line is available in three flavors: Ala Port Wine, Peachy White Zinfandel and Red Raspberry Chardonnay. The flavors are for adults only since they have five percent alcohol content and a pint of the flavors are equivalent to one glass of wine.

Compiled by Martamaria Gomez

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...