Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving: ‘Canes claim prestigious awards

Junior Jenna Dreyer and freshman Brittany Viola claimed the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year and Freshman of the Year honors, respectively, as voted by ACC head coaches.

The award for Dreyer, this year’s ACC Champion, marks her second as she took home the ACC Diver of the Year award in 2005. Dreyer won the one-meter and three-meter springboards at the ACC Championships and took home the ACC Most Valuable Diver award as well. At the 2007 NCAA Championships Dreyer earned All-America honors with a bronze medal finish in the one-meter springboard.

Viola became the first ‘Cane ever to earn the ACC Freshman of the Year award. Additionally, Viola earned All-America honors with a sixth place finish in the platform event at the NCAA Championships. She also earned an All-American honorable mention for a 14th place finish in the three-meter springboard competition.

Track and Field: Talley tallies-up qualifying marks

On the men’s side of the competition at the Auburn Springtime Invite, junior Tim Harris topped the 800-meters competition. His time of 1:48.74 was a regional qualifying time.

On the women’s side, junior Khadija Talley captured two first place finishes and three NCAA qualifying marks. Talley earned first place finishes in the shot put and discus, and a second-place finish in the hammer throw.

Sophomore Viktoria Andonova took first place in the high jump with a jump of 1.83 meters.

Senior Ginou Etienne also took home a first place finish, as she finished in the 800-meters, while sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy took second.

Freshman Deandra Doyley and senior Amy Seward finish second and third, respectively, in the long jump. Both earned an NCAA regional mark with their finishes.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...