Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving: ‘Canes claim prestigious awards

Junior Jenna Dreyer and freshman Brittany Viola claimed the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year and Freshman of the Year honors, respectively, as voted by ACC head coaches.

The award for Dreyer, this year’s ACC Champion, marks her second as she took home the ACC Diver of the Year award in 2005. Dreyer won the one-meter and three-meter springboards at the ACC Championships and took home the ACC Most Valuable Diver award as well. At the 2007 NCAA Championships Dreyer earned All-America honors with a bronze medal finish in the one-meter springboard.

Viola became the first ‘Cane ever to earn the ACC Freshman of the Year award. Additionally, Viola earned All-America honors with a sixth place finish in the platform event at the NCAA Championships. She also earned an All-American honorable mention for a 14th place finish in the three-meter springboard competition.

Track and Field: Talley tallies-up qualifying marks

On the men’s side of the competition at the Auburn Springtime Invite, junior Tim Harris topped the 800-meters competition. His time of 1:48.74 was a regional qualifying time.

On the women’s side, junior Khadija Talley captured two first place finishes and three NCAA qualifying marks. Talley earned first place finishes in the shot put and discus, and a second-place finish in the hammer throw.

Sophomore Viktoria Andonova took first place in the high jump with a jump of 1.83 meters.

Senior Ginou Etienne also took home a first place finish, as she finished in the 800-meters, while sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy took second.

Freshman Deandra Doyley and senior Amy Seward finish second and third, respectively, in the long jump. Both earned an NCAA regional mark with their finishes.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...