Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving: ‘Canes claim prestigious awards

Junior Jenna Dreyer and freshman Brittany Viola claimed the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year and Freshman of the Year honors, respectively, as voted by ACC head coaches.

The award for Dreyer, this year’s ACC Champion, marks her second as she took home the ACC Diver of the Year award in 2005. Dreyer won the one-meter and three-meter springboards at the ACC Championships and took home the ACC Most Valuable Diver award as well. At the 2007 NCAA Championships Dreyer earned All-America honors with a bronze medal finish in the one-meter springboard.

Viola became the first ‘Cane ever to earn the ACC Freshman of the Year award. Additionally, Viola earned All-America honors with a sixth place finish in the platform event at the NCAA Championships. She also earned an All-American honorable mention for a 14th place finish in the three-meter springboard competition.

Track and Field: Talley tallies-up qualifying marks

On the men’s side of the competition at the Auburn Springtime Invite, junior Tim Harris topped the 800-meters competition. His time of 1:48.74 was a regional qualifying time.

On the women’s side, junior Khadija Talley captured two first place finishes and three NCAA qualifying marks. Talley earned first place finishes in the shot put and discus, and a second-place finish in the hammer throw.

Sophomore Viktoria Andonova took first place in the high jump with a jump of 1.83 meters.

Senior Ginou Etienne also took home a first place finish, as she finished in the 800-meters, while sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy took second.

Freshman Deandra Doyley and senior Amy Seward finish second and third, respectively, in the long jump. Both earned an NCAA regional mark with their finishes.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...