Columbia Records chair speaks to UM students

University of Miami students who awoke early enough to attend a presentation by Columbia Records Chairman Steve Barnett on Friday netted an insider’s look at the state of the music industry. They also received the opportunity to take home CDs by some of the label’s biggest artists.

Barnett spoke at the Gusman Concert Hall and addressed topics such as the decline of record sales, the digital distribution of music and the path he took from the west midlands of England to his position at the head of the oldest record label in the world.

After the presentation, Barnett invited students to take whatever CDs they wished from dozens of piles on the stage, including releases from Beyonc

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...