UMPD reminds you to think about pedestrian safety!

The following tips will not only keep you safer while walking, they’ll keep you from getting a jay-walking ticket.

Each year over 85,000 pedestrians are injured or killed by motor vehicles. Most of these incidents were preventable. If you’re walking to a destination on or off campus, please remember that the University of Miami is located within a major urban area. Pedestrian safety is critically important, yet, it is often overlooked. Ideally, drivers and pedestrians should cooperate and yield to whomever has the right of way. However, with an ever increasing number of distractions such as cell phones and iPods, common sense and laws are often overlooked or ignored. Since the human body is no match for a motor vehicle, pedestrian safety must ultimately reside with the pedestrian. Pedestrians should NEVER assume that the driver of a vehicle will look out for them. Consider the following practices to increase your safety as a pedestrian: Always use sidewalks when available. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far to the side of the road as possible. On busy streets, like US 1, only cross at an intersection with a marked crosswalk. Never jaywalk. Before crossing a street, always scan for approaching traffic. Obey pedestrian signs as well. When crossing a busy road, walk briskly and continually scan for traffic. Never assume that a driver sees you, or that he/ she will yield to you. Don’t wear headphones while walking. At night, wear bright colored or reflective clothing and carry a flashlight. Above all, use common sense based on the assumption that drivers are not looking out for you. The University takes pedestrian safety very seriously, and as a result, UM Police Officers will issue citations for jay-walking. Please feel free to stop by the UM Police Dispatch window on the ground floor of the Flipse Building for a free “Stepping Out” University of Miami Pedestrian Safety guide. UM Police Officials will also be tabling around campus over the next few weeks distributing pedestrian safety information. Further information on pedestrian safety and jay-walking enforcement is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...