UM intends to purchase Cedars Hospital

After negotiations to purchase Cedars Medical Hospital, the University of Miami School of Medicine signed a letter of intent to purchase the facility, located across the street from UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Until Monday, a partnership between UM and Cedars was uncertain, due to the announcement last year that UM would build its own 114-bed hospital.

Though the purchase of Cedars will provide UM with a 560-bed hospital facility, plans for a UM-built facility have not been cancelled. Miller School Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said the university plans to maintain an alliance between UM and Jackson, which is overseen by the Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County.

Furthermore, HCA, the company that currently owns Cedars, plans to provide support service to UM to go along with the purchase. HCA will provide billing and collections, information technology and procurement services to the university.

Representatives from the Miller School declined a request by The Miami Hurricane to comment.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...