UM intends to purchase Cedars Hospital

After negotiations to purchase Cedars Medical Hospital, the University of Miami School of Medicine signed a letter of intent to purchase the facility, located across the street from UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Until Monday, a partnership between UM and Cedars was uncertain, due to the announcement last year that UM would build its own 114-bed hospital.

Though the purchase of Cedars will provide UM with a 560-bed hospital facility, plans for a UM-built facility have not been cancelled. Miller School Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said the university plans to maintain an alliance between UM and Jackson, which is overseen by the Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County.

Furthermore, HCA, the company that currently owns Cedars, plans to provide support service to UM to go along with the purchase. HCA will provide billing and collections, information technology and procurement services to the university.

Representatives from the Miller School declined a request by The Miami Hurricane to comment.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...