UM intends to purchase Cedars Hospital

After negotiations to purchase Cedars Medical Hospital, the University of Miami School of Medicine signed a letter of intent to purchase the facility, located across the street from UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Until Monday, a partnership between UM and Cedars was uncertain, due to the announcement last year that UM would build its own 114-bed hospital.

Though the purchase of Cedars will provide UM with a 560-bed hospital facility, plans for a UM-built facility have not been cancelled. Miller School Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said the university plans to maintain an alliance between UM and Jackson, which is overseen by the Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County.

Furthermore, HCA, the company that currently owns Cedars, plans to provide support service to UM to go along with the purchase. HCA will provide billing and collections, information technology and procurement services to the university.

Representatives from the Miller School declined a request by The Miami Hurricane to comment.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...