The UM Police Department reminds you of elevator safety!

Each year in the United States approximately 17,000 people are injured by elevators and escalators; although all elevators on campus are properly inspected and maintained, there are no such guarantees off-campus. While elevators are safer than they have ever been, with computer operation systems and redundant mechanical safety systems, it doesn’t mean it is impossible to injure yourself on an elevator. Please consider the following safety tips when riding an elevator: when waiting for an elevator, stand aside to allow space for exiting passengers. If an arriving elevator appears full, wait for the next car; do not overcrowd. Be sure to stand clear of the elevator doors as they are closing; keep loose clothing, bags and other personal items away from moving parts. Always enter and exit an elevator at designated floor alignments. Attempting to exit when the elevator is improperly aligned is inadvisable because it exposes the open elevator shaft. If you should come upon an exposed elevator shaft, notify building management immediately (on campus, notify UM Police). Do not go near the open shaft or attempt to climb through it. Before you board the elevator, make sure that none of its passengers appear suspicious (especially if you are alone). If you are already on an elevator and feel threatened by a passenger who is boarding, exit the elevator immediately. It’s silly to put yourself in an uncomfortable situation when you can just wait for the next elevator car or take the stairs. Lastly, and most importantly, if there is a fire (or fire alarm) in the building, use the stairs; never use the elevator. Firefighters need to use the elevator to get hundreds of pounds of equipment to the fire floor. Using the elevator could delay the response time of emergency workers. Further information on elevator safety, including an elevator safety brochure, is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...