The UM Police Department reminds you of elevator safety!

Each year in the United States approximately 17,000 people are injured by elevators and escalators; although all elevators on campus are properly inspected and maintained, there are no such guarantees off-campus. While elevators are safer than they have ever been, with computer operation systems and redundant mechanical safety systems, it doesn’t mean it is impossible to injure yourself on an elevator. Please consider the following safety tips when riding an elevator: when waiting for an elevator, stand aside to allow space for exiting passengers. If an arriving elevator appears full, wait for the next car; do not overcrowd. Be sure to stand clear of the elevator doors as they are closing; keep loose clothing, bags and other personal items away from moving parts. Always enter and exit an elevator at designated floor alignments. Attempting to exit when the elevator is improperly aligned is inadvisable because it exposes the open elevator shaft. If you should come upon an exposed elevator shaft, notify building management immediately (on campus, notify UM Police). Do not go near the open shaft or attempt to climb through it. Before you board the elevator, make sure that none of its passengers appear suspicious (especially if you are alone). If you are already on an elevator and feel threatened by a passenger who is boarding, exit the elevator immediately. It’s silly to put yourself in an uncomfortable situation when you can just wait for the next elevator car or take the stairs. Lastly, and most importantly, if there is a fire (or fire alarm) in the building, use the stairs; never use the elevator. Firefighters need to use the elevator to get hundreds of pounds of equipment to the fire floor. Using the elevator could delay the response time of emergency workers. Further information on elevator safety, including an elevator safety brochure, is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...