Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball: Bye-bye Clemente, bye-bye Gilbert

University of Miami men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith recently announced that freshman forward Lawrence Gilbert and sophomore guard Denis Clemente will not return to the program next season.

Before being shut down for the season for violating team policy, Clemente was an integral part of the backcourt. Clemente, who started in 15 of the 27 games he appeared in, averaged 9.8 points and 3.3 assists per game. Gilbert, who appeared in 20 games, averaged 1.5 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Both have been granted a leave to transfer.

Golf: Prats shines at USF/Waterlefe Invite

University of Miami senior Tiffany Prats displayed an impressive three-day showing at the USF/Waterlefe Invite. Prats put together a three round total 225, which left her at a respectable nine over par, allowing her to finish second at the event.

The Hurricanes to finished in eighth place.

Helping to the cause were junior Hagen Weintraub, who tied for 28th; junior Jessica Steward, who tied for 38th; senior Josie Shinn, who tied for 47th; and sophomore Annabelle Paulino, who finished 76th.

Football: Spring cleaning

The University of Miami football program recently hosted its first spring scrimmage, giving fans a look at what might be brewing for next season.

“This was just the first scrimmage,” Head Coach Randy Shannon said. “We don’t want to be ready to go or be in tip-top shape until the first game. And we want to play our beat game the last part of the season, so we’re on a steady move going forward. Guys are doing a good job, but we need to improve a lot. The defense did a lot of good things, and a couple of running backs made some nice runs, but now we have to finish it.”

In the scrimmage, fans saw quarterback Kirby Freeman throw a 35-yard touchdown pass to fullback Jerrell Mabry and a 60-yard non-scoring pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. Quarterback Kyle Wright threw for two touchdowns-a five-yard pass to wide receiver Brian McNeil and a 10-yard pass to Leggett. Wright was picked off twice by safties Lovon Poner and Kenny Phillips.

Kicker Daren Daly connected on a 25-yard and a 45-yard field goal, while kicker Matt Bosher connected on a 25-yard field goal.

Info compiled from hurricanesports.com.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...