Presentation highlights dangers of hazing

As an undergraduate at Auburn University and member of Sigma Nu Fraternity, Erle Morring was hazed. Despite all the rules, he was a willing victim and participant of hazing as a brother and chapter officer. It was a rite of passage and a tradition, not to mention the only way to become a brother. It was all fun and games, however, until one of his fraternity’s pledges died…then another.

Fifteen years later, Morring is making good on a promise he made to himself after the avoidable deaths of his friends by committing himself to eradicating the problem on campuses across the country. He visited UM Tuesday night and gave a presentation to a packed house of Greek students at the Storer Auditorium in the School of Business.

For just over one hour, Morring told the story of and reenacted parts from his first two years of fraternity experience, including the murder and suicide of two pledges of his fraternity, respectively.

For more information, visit his website at www.campuspeak.com.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...