News Briefs

UMNews

Miller director performs first test for heart attack treatment

Joshua Hare, chief of the Division of Cardiology and director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute at the Miller School of Medicine, recently conducted the first human clinical trial to test a stem cell based treatment for heart attacks.

Fifty-three patients participated in the heart attack study and findings were presented to the American College of Cardiology’s Innovation in Intervention: i2 Summit in New Orleans.

Hare found that the stem he used, known as mesenchymal stem cells, have a range of advantages. Some advantages include that they can be taken from genetically distinct donors, they are easy to prepare and they tend to collect in areas injured by cardiac failure.

With 700,000 Americans expected to suffer from a heart attack over the following year, Hare hopes that the use of stem cells can be used to prevent or revere the damage caused by cardiac damage.

“This trial offers a distinct advancement in the field of stem cell-based treatments by providing safety and efficacy data for a unique and promising type of stem cell to treat cardiac damage,” he said.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...