News Briefs

UMNews

Miller director performs first test for heart attack treatment

Joshua Hare, chief of the Division of Cardiology and director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute at the Miller School of Medicine, recently conducted the first human clinical trial to test a stem cell based treatment for heart attacks.

Fifty-three patients participated in the heart attack study and findings were presented to the American College of Cardiology’s Innovation in Intervention: i2 Summit in New Orleans.

Hare found that the stem he used, known as mesenchymal stem cells, have a range of advantages. Some advantages include that they can be taken from genetically distinct donors, they are easy to prepare and they tend to collect in areas injured by cardiac failure.

With 700,000 Americans expected to suffer from a heart attack over the following year, Hare hopes that the use of stem cells can be used to prevent or revere the damage caused by cardiac damage.

“This trial offers a distinct advancement in the field of stem cell-based treatments by providing safety and efficacy data for a unique and promising type of stem cell to treat cardiac damage,” he said.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...