News Briefs

UMNews

Miller director performs first test for heart attack treatment

Joshua Hare, chief of the Division of Cardiology and director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute at the Miller School of Medicine, recently conducted the first human clinical trial to test a stem cell based treatment for heart attacks.

Fifty-three patients participated in the heart attack study and findings were presented to the American College of Cardiology’s Innovation in Intervention: i2 Summit in New Orleans.

Hare found that the stem he used, known as mesenchymal stem cells, have a range of advantages. Some advantages include that they can be taken from genetically distinct donors, they are easy to prepare and they tend to collect in areas injured by cardiac failure.

With 700,000 Americans expected to suffer from a heart attack over the following year, Hare hopes that the use of stem cells can be used to prevent or revere the damage caused by cardiac damage.

“This trial offers a distinct advancement in the field of stem cell-based treatments by providing safety and efficacy data for a unique and promising type of stem cell to treat cardiac damage,” he said.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...