Get Out the Vote holds first of three events

Six candidates for Coral Gables elected office met with students Monday night at the Faculty Club in the University Center.

Monday’s mixer was the first of three events organized by Student Government’s Get Out The Vote campaign, originally organized before the 2004 presidential election.

Two of the three candidates for mayor, incumbent Don Slesnick and Richard Namon, as well as all candidates for the two commission seats up for election this year (Group 4 and Group 5) were on hand. George Corrigan, the third candidate, attended a mixer Tuesday night in the UC lower lounge.

Also in attendance were Wayne “Chip” Withers (incumbent for city commissioner, Group 4), Omar Pasalodos (candidate for city commissioner, Group 4), William “Bill” Kerdyk Jr. (incumbent for city commissioner, Group 5), and UM graduate and current employee John Gottshalk (candidate for city commissioner, Group 5)

After opening statements from the candidates, moderator Dan Kalvig, GOTV’s Residential College outreach chair, proceeded to ask questions tailored to individual candidates as well as general questions.

The relationship between the university and the city dominated the discussion, often touching on the contentious efforts to pass the university’s UMCAD master plan.

“In life, there are blips in the road,” said Slesnick. “The main thing is to find a way to overcome that, and to move forward.”

The Coral Gables city election will take place on April 10.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...