Get Out the Vote holds first of three events

Six candidates for Coral Gables elected office met with students Monday night at the Faculty Club in the University Center.

Monday’s mixer was the first of three events organized by Student Government’s Get Out The Vote campaign, originally organized before the 2004 presidential election.

Two of the three candidates for mayor, incumbent Don Slesnick and Richard Namon, as well as all candidates for the two commission seats up for election this year (Group 4 and Group 5) were on hand. George Corrigan, the third candidate, attended a mixer Tuesday night in the UC lower lounge.

Also in attendance were Wayne “Chip” Withers (incumbent for city commissioner, Group 4), Omar Pasalodos (candidate for city commissioner, Group 4), William “Bill” Kerdyk Jr. (incumbent for city commissioner, Group 5), and UM graduate and current employee John Gottshalk (candidate for city commissioner, Group 5)

After opening statements from the candidates, moderator Dan Kalvig, GOTV’s Residential College outreach chair, proceeded to ask questions tailored to individual candidates as well as general questions.

The relationship between the university and the city dominated the discussion, often touching on the contentious efforts to pass the university’s UMCAD master plan.

“In life, there are blips in the road,” said Slesnick. “The main thing is to find a way to overcome that, and to move forward.”

The Coral Gables city election will take place on April 10.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...