Get Out the Vote holds first of three events

Six candidates for Coral Gables elected office met with students Monday night at the Faculty Club in the University Center.

Monday’s mixer was the first of three events organized by Student Government’s Get Out The Vote campaign, originally organized before the 2004 presidential election.

Two of the three candidates for mayor, incumbent Don Slesnick and Richard Namon, as well as all candidates for the two commission seats up for election this year (Group 4 and Group 5) were on hand. George Corrigan, the third candidate, attended a mixer Tuesday night in the UC lower lounge.

Also in attendance were Wayne “Chip” Withers (incumbent for city commissioner, Group 4), Omar Pasalodos (candidate for city commissioner, Group 4), William “Bill” Kerdyk Jr. (incumbent for city commissioner, Group 5), and UM graduate and current employee John Gottshalk (candidate for city commissioner, Group 5)

After opening statements from the candidates, moderator Dan Kalvig, GOTV’s Residential College outreach chair, proceeded to ask questions tailored to individual candidates as well as general questions.

The relationship between the university and the city dominated the discussion, often touching on the contentious efforts to pass the university’s UMCAD master plan.

“In life, there are blips in the road,” said Slesnick. “The main thing is to find a way to overcome that, and to move forward.”

The Coral Gables city election will take place on April 10.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...