Editorial: STUDENTS DESERVE REPRESENTATION IN ADMINSTRATIVE DECISIONS

Now that the university, or more specifically, Vice-President of Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely, has decided to defer Greek freshmen recruitment without consulting Student Government, a new bill has been passed by senate. Written by Freshman Senator Katherine Herleman and Arts & Sciences Senator Jerrett Gilbert, the bill proposes having an SG representative present at all future administration committees and task forces, presumably to make sure the university doesn’t try to pull something similar in the future. It was passed by the Student Government Senate 31-4 on Wednesday (see News p. 3).

The bill was obviously written with a good amount of contempt towards the administration, almost as if striking back at them, and considering the circumstances, it is certainly understandable. The Greek community has a commanding presence in SG, so it should come as no surprise that such a sudden move as deferred recruitment struck a major nerve among its ranks.

And this is not even including attempts by the administration to scrap the Halloween Shuttle Ride to the Grove, following the infamous “monster mash” incident, or a recent attempt to revise the Student Rights & Responsibilities Handbook, both without involving SG.

While the administration does not have a history of sneaking proposals behind students’ backs, the fact that they are doing it now underscores the need for this bill, lest this balloon into a larger trend, which would alienate the student body and make it feel disenfranchised (as well as being incredibly bad PR for the administration).

After all, if the administration can keep on bypassing SG on the very types of issues that the organization is meant to address, why even have an elected student body to begin with? It’s bitterly ironic how students, organizations, administrators and student media bombard the student body with message after message, emphasizing the importance of voting in SG elections and increasing student participation in and around SG. Yet at the same time the university is taking action that completely undermines SG’s legitimacy.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...