Editorial: STUDENTS DESERVE REPRESENTATION IN ADMINSTRATIVE DECISIONS

Now that the university, or more specifically, Vice-President of Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely, has decided to defer Greek freshmen recruitment without consulting Student Government, a new bill has been passed by senate. Written by Freshman Senator Katherine Herleman and Arts & Sciences Senator Jerrett Gilbert, the bill proposes having an SG representative present at all future administration committees and task forces, presumably to make sure the university doesn’t try to pull something similar in the future. It was passed by the Student Government Senate 31-4 on Wednesday (see News p. 3).

The bill was obviously written with a good amount of contempt towards the administration, almost as if striking back at them, and considering the circumstances, it is certainly understandable. The Greek community has a commanding presence in SG, so it should come as no surprise that such a sudden move as deferred recruitment struck a major nerve among its ranks.

And this is not even including attempts by the administration to scrap the Halloween Shuttle Ride to the Grove, following the infamous “monster mash” incident, or a recent attempt to revise the Student Rights & Responsibilities Handbook, both without involving SG.

While the administration does not have a history of sneaking proposals behind students’ backs, the fact that they are doing it now underscores the need for this bill, lest this balloon into a larger trend, which would alienate the student body and make it feel disenfranchised (as well as being incredibly bad PR for the administration).

After all, if the administration can keep on bypassing SG on the very types of issues that the organization is meant to address, why even have an elected student body to begin with? It’s bitterly ironic how students, organizations, administrators and student media bombard the student body with message after message, emphasizing the importance of voting in SG elections and increasing student participation in and around SG. Yet at the same time the university is taking action that completely undermines SG’s legitimacy.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...