City gives unanimous approval to UM master plan

The Coral Gables City Commission unanimously passed (for a second time) 22 amendments to the University of Miami’s master plan.

The first approval came after some tension grew among the City of Coral Gables and UM officials.

UM dropped three of the original 25 amendments, for instance removing plans for two parking garages. One was planned to be located across the street from Doctor’s Hospital on Pisano Avenue and the other by the School of Music. All 25 changes were rejected at the Jan. 10 meeting of the Coral Gables Planning and Zoning Board.

City Planner Eric Reil addressed the commission, presenting a brief overview of the UM campus area development (UMCAD) plan changes.

The amendments include plans to expand the Wellness Center, Richter library and other facilities, as well as demolishing the Rathskeller to make way for the new Student Activity Center. The plan also provides for the construction of new residential colleges and a new alumni building.

Representatives from the university, such as President Donna E. Shalala and Student Government Senate Speaker John Constantinide, attended the meeting.

Shalala said she is happy to know that the new construction projects will soon be started.

“I think it is a very good first step,” she said. “In think we will able to get the Student [Activity] Center, among other projects, done in a very quick time frame.”

Vice Mayor Maria Anderson said that, in amendments like this one, it is always crucial to consider those who could be affected by the changes.

“I think the university is a great place,” she said. “However, we also have to draw a line and look at our neighbors.”

During the closing statements, Commissioner Rafael Cabrera and Mayor Don Slesnick thanked the university and praised the institution.

Cabrera said approving the master plan has taught him two things:

“It taught me the need for placidity and accountability,” he said. “We now know who will be accountable for this project and any changes that occur.”

Slesnick told the audience he has always had a good relationship with Shalala ever since her election as president of UM.

“For those who imply that the relationship between the city and the university is not good, I must say that is a misunderstanding,” he said. “I consider [the university]to be a world class university in a world class city.”

The process, however, is far from over. The university will have to return to the board for building permits for every single one of the twenty two amendments, starting with the Alumni Center six months from now.

Fanny Olmo may be contacted at f.olmo@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...