Women’s Tennis: Women’s tennis drops first contest of conference play against GA Tech

The sixth-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets handed the ninth-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team its first ACC loss of the season on Saturday. The ‘Canes were defeated 5-2 in a contest between top-ten ranked schools at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, GA.

The defeat drops the ‘Canes to 12-3 overall and 3-1 in ACC play, while Georgia Tech moves its record to 12-4 and 3-1.

In doubles play, UM was pushed to the brink before it secured two out of three matches.

The doubles team of juniors Audra Cohen and Caren Seenauth, ranked 24th nationally, outlasted Georgia Tech’s Amanda Craddock and Alison Silverio 9-7 to secure a victory at the No.2 spot.

At the No.1 doubles position, eighth-ranked duo Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray torched senior Audrey Banada and junior Romy Farah 8-3.

UM’s Gina Sabatino and freshman Laura Vallverdu then defeated Tarryn Rudman and Kristen Flower of Georgia Tech 8-4 at the No.3 spot for the deciding point. This was the first time that Sabatino, a junior, and Vallverdu played together this season.

Though UM’s Cohen, who is ranked No.1 in the country in singles play and has had 18 straight wins, upended Georgia Tech’s Miller quite handily in two straight sets (6-4, 6-2) at the No.1 slot.

The Lady Yellow Jackets went on to capture the rest of the five singles matches.

At the No. 4 spot, GT’s Amanda McDowell defeated Miami’s Sabatino in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.

GT’s Craddock outperformed Farah 6-3, 6-1 at the No.3 singles position, while Rudman bested UM freshman Claudia Wasilewski 6-3, 6-2 at the No.6 position.

At the No.5 slot, Christy Striplin won 6-4, 6-2 against Miami’s Seenauth.

The Yellow Jackets’ Silverio narrowly escaped with a victory at the No.3 position over Banada, who is ranked 38th nationally.

After losing the first set 6-2, Banada roared back in the second set to win 6-7 (8-10). But in the final set, Silverio outlasted Banada’s rally to secure the win 1-0 (14-12).

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...