Women’s Tennis: Women’s tennis drops first contest of conference play against GA Tech

The sixth-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets handed the ninth-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team its first ACC loss of the season on Saturday. The ‘Canes were defeated 5-2 in a contest between top-ten ranked schools at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, GA.

The defeat drops the ‘Canes to 12-3 overall and 3-1 in ACC play, while Georgia Tech moves its record to 12-4 and 3-1.

In doubles play, UM was pushed to the brink before it secured two out of three matches.

The doubles team of juniors Audra Cohen and Caren Seenauth, ranked 24th nationally, outlasted Georgia Tech’s Amanda Craddock and Alison Silverio 9-7 to secure a victory at the No.2 spot.

At the No.1 doubles position, eighth-ranked duo Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray torched senior Audrey Banada and junior Romy Farah 8-3.

UM’s Gina Sabatino and freshman Laura Vallverdu then defeated Tarryn Rudman and Kristen Flower of Georgia Tech 8-4 at the No.3 spot for the deciding point. This was the first time that Sabatino, a junior, and Vallverdu played together this season.

Though UM’s Cohen, who is ranked No.1 in the country in singles play and has had 18 straight wins, upended Georgia Tech’s Miller quite handily in two straight sets (6-4, 6-2) at the No.1 slot.

The Lady Yellow Jackets went on to capture the rest of the five singles matches.

At the No. 4 spot, GT’s Amanda McDowell defeated Miami’s Sabatino in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.

GT’s Craddock outperformed Farah 6-3, 6-1 at the No.3 singles position, while Rudman bested UM freshman Claudia Wasilewski 6-3, 6-2 at the No.6 position.

At the No.5 slot, Christy Striplin won 6-4, 6-2 against Miami’s Seenauth.

The Yellow Jackets’ Silverio narrowly escaped with a victory at the No.3 position over Banada, who is ranked 38th nationally.

After losing the first set 6-2, Banada roared back in the second set to win 6-7 (8-10). But in the final set, Silverio outlasted Banada’s rally to secure the win 1-0 (14-12).

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...