Women’s Tennis: Women’s tennis drops first contest of conference play against GA Tech

The sixth-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets handed the ninth-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team its first ACC loss of the season on Saturday. The ‘Canes were defeated 5-2 in a contest between top-ten ranked schools at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, GA.

The defeat drops the ‘Canes to 12-3 overall and 3-1 in ACC play, while Georgia Tech moves its record to 12-4 and 3-1.

In doubles play, UM was pushed to the brink before it secured two out of three matches.

The doubles team of juniors Audra Cohen and Caren Seenauth, ranked 24th nationally, outlasted Georgia Tech’s Amanda Craddock and Alison Silverio 9-7 to secure a victory at the No.2 spot.

At the No.1 doubles position, eighth-ranked duo Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray torched senior Audrey Banada and junior Romy Farah 8-3.

UM’s Gina Sabatino and freshman Laura Vallverdu then defeated Tarryn Rudman and Kristen Flower of Georgia Tech 8-4 at the No.3 spot for the deciding point. This was the first time that Sabatino, a junior, and Vallverdu played together this season.

Though UM’s Cohen, who is ranked No.1 in the country in singles play and has had 18 straight wins, upended Georgia Tech’s Miller quite handily in two straight sets (6-4, 6-2) at the No.1 slot.

The Lady Yellow Jackets went on to capture the rest of the five singles matches.

At the No. 4 spot, GT’s Amanda McDowell defeated Miami’s Sabatino in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.

GT’s Craddock outperformed Farah 6-3, 6-1 at the No.3 singles position, while Rudman bested UM freshman Claudia Wasilewski 6-3, 6-2 at the No.6 position.

At the No.5 slot, Christy Striplin won 6-4, 6-2 against Miami’s Seenauth.

The Yellow Jackets’ Silverio narrowly escaped with a victory at the No.3 position over Banada, who is ranked 38th nationally.

After losing the first set 6-2, Banada roared back in the second set to win 6-7 (8-10). But in the final set, Silverio outlasted Banada’s rally to secure the win 1-0 (14-12).

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...