Women’s Tennis: Women’s tennis drops first contest of conference play against GA Tech

The sixth-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets handed the ninth-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team its first ACC loss of the season on Saturday. The ‘Canes were defeated 5-2 in a contest between top-ten ranked schools at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, GA.

The defeat drops the ‘Canes to 12-3 overall and 3-1 in ACC play, while Georgia Tech moves its record to 12-4 and 3-1.

In doubles play, UM was pushed to the brink before it secured two out of three matches.

The doubles team of juniors Audra Cohen and Caren Seenauth, ranked 24th nationally, outlasted Georgia Tech’s Amanda Craddock and Alison Silverio 9-7 to secure a victory at the No.2 spot.

At the No.1 doubles position, eighth-ranked duo Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray torched senior Audrey Banada and junior Romy Farah 8-3.

UM’s Gina Sabatino and freshman Laura Vallverdu then defeated Tarryn Rudman and Kristen Flower of Georgia Tech 8-4 at the No.3 spot for the deciding point. This was the first time that Sabatino, a junior, and Vallverdu played together this season.

Though UM’s Cohen, who is ranked No.1 in the country in singles play and has had 18 straight wins, upended Georgia Tech’s Miller quite handily in two straight sets (6-4, 6-2) at the No.1 slot.

The Lady Yellow Jackets went on to capture the rest of the five singles matches.

At the No. 4 spot, GT’s Amanda McDowell defeated Miami’s Sabatino in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.

GT’s Craddock outperformed Farah 6-3, 6-1 at the No.3 singles position, while Rudman bested UM freshman Claudia Wasilewski 6-3, 6-2 at the No.6 position.

At the No.5 slot, Christy Striplin won 6-4, 6-2 against Miami’s Seenauth.

The Yellow Jackets’ Silverio narrowly escaped with a victory at the No.3 position over Banada, who is ranked 38th nationally.

After losing the first set 6-2, Banada roared back in the second set to win 6-7 (8-10). But in the final set, Silverio outlasted Banada’s rally to secure the win 1-0 (14-12).

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...