Relaxing electronic album uses real instruments for a change

Miguel Migs redefines electronic music and stands at the forefront of dance and house music; with the release of his sophomore album, “Those Things,” Migs will surely not only please fans, but also serve as a pleasant surprise to those who tend to shy away from the electronic and house genre.

Migs distinctive use of instruments such as the trumpet, congas, saxophone and guitar gives electronic music fans something different than the club-pounding repeating beats they are accustomed to. This also helps widen his appeal to those just looking for relaxing, soothing music to rock out to while getting ready for a night out or just cleaning the house.

Each of “Those Things'” songs features guest vocalists who add to the entrancing beats. The album’s track “Fire” features guest vocalist Junior Reid (a reggae/dance hall artist), and stands out amongst the rest as having a reggae feel to the beat. “Fire” also serves as the album’s social commentary with lyrics such as “If this is our world, why can’t we care for each other/if the youths can’t go to school, what will become of the future?”

The first released single, “So Far” sets the stage for the rest of the album; it has the undertone of a laid-back vibe with a soothing vocal performance by LTD Amato. The opening beat of “Make Things Happen” is the most reminiscent of a “traditional” club song, but even that is a stretch.

Migs describes his sound as “organic,” and what makes “Those Things” a standout album in the electronic music genre is its peaceful demeanor. “Those Things,” which was released March 20, had its official album release party at Migs’ special performance at Shine at the Shelbourne in Miami, Florida as part of the Winter Music Conference in on March 23.

“Those Things” represent Migs growth since his debut album “Colorful You” in 2002. While “Colorful You” helped introduce Migs’ unique electronic sound to the industry, it lacks maturity and a sense of continuity. However, with “Those Things,” Migs uses his leverage as an established artist, DJ, remixer and producer to create an album entirely his own and makes no excuses for his work. And, in the end, he produced an album that will challenge the audience yet leave them satisfied.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...