Relaxing electronic album uses real instruments for a change

Miguel Migs redefines electronic music and stands at the forefront of dance and house music; with the release of his sophomore album, “Those Things,” Migs will surely not only please fans, but also serve as a pleasant surprise to those who tend to shy away from the electronic and house genre.

Migs distinctive use of instruments such as the trumpet, congas, saxophone and guitar gives electronic music fans something different than the club-pounding repeating beats they are accustomed to. This also helps widen his appeal to those just looking for relaxing, soothing music to rock out to while getting ready for a night out or just cleaning the house.

Each of “Those Things'” songs features guest vocalists who add to the entrancing beats. The album’s track “Fire” features guest vocalist Junior Reid (a reggae/dance hall artist), and stands out amongst the rest as having a reggae feel to the beat. “Fire” also serves as the album’s social commentary with lyrics such as “If this is our world, why can’t we care for each other/if the youths can’t go to school, what will become of the future?”

The first released single, “So Far” sets the stage for the rest of the album; it has the undertone of a laid-back vibe with a soothing vocal performance by LTD Amato. The opening beat of “Make Things Happen” is the most reminiscent of a “traditional” club song, but even that is a stretch.

Migs describes his sound as “organic,” and what makes “Those Things” a standout album in the electronic music genre is its peaceful demeanor. “Those Things,” which was released March 20, had its official album release party at Migs’ special performance at Shine at the Shelbourne in Miami, Florida as part of the Winter Music Conference in on March 23.

“Those Things” represent Migs growth since his debut album “Colorful You” in 2002. While “Colorful You” helped introduce Migs’ unique electronic sound to the industry, it lacks maturity and a sense of continuity. However, with “Those Things,” Migs uses his leverage as an established artist, DJ, remixer and producer to create an album entirely his own and makes no excuses for his work. And, in the end, he produced an album that will challenge the audience yet leave them satisfied.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...