Freshman Survival 102: A very bad Spring Break

Every year, college kids across the nation flock to exotic places like Cancun, Europe, and Booze Cruises around the Caribbean. These exotic trips don’t usually pay for themselves, and if you don’t have your parents to fork over the Almighty Dollar, your plans for Spring Break might become limited.

Such was the case with yours truly, who was forced to pack her bags and head not 520 miles southwest to unlimited drinking, but 30 miles north, to unlimited babysitting and parental supervision. So what is there to do for ten days when you have a fund of $0 dollars and a curfew? Well, some fun-filled activities that I engaged in included:

1.) Waking up at 3 p.m. every single day excluding a Saturday, where it was 4 p.m. The reason for waking up late was not due to a hangover from one too many body shots the night before, but from a Fresh Prince of Bel Air marathon on Nick at Nite.

2.) Reading gossip magazines like “US weekly”, “Life & Style” or the people section of “Time”, until I became an expert at matching the celebrity mom to her baby. My boyfriend became an expert at “Style Watch: Who wears it better? Chelsea Clinton vs. Jennifer Lopez.” Hmm, tough one.

3.) On an outing to Spring Break Central, also known as South Beach, via the “S” bus, I witnessed every mother’s worst nightmare and every son’s ultimate fantasy: girls in string bikinis rubbing baby oil over each other, to be well rewarded for their services later by a famous Miami-based porn site creator (best known for classy sites such as 8thstreetlatinas.com). Everyone enjoyed themselves immensely, particularly a sward of pale gentlemen presumably from the north, who immediately whipped out their camera phones and went crazy.

4.) Volunteering at the Hispanic version of Oktoberfest, which had Pi

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...