can gay affairs be hidden from my girlfriend?

I have been my dating girlfriend for most of undergrad. Since last semester, I have been unfaithful. During this time, I have experimented with male partners in other fraternities. I really care about my girlfriend and don’t want to hurt her. But she is friends with a lot of Greeks, and I’m afraid she’ll find out.

I’ve come to enjoy my sexual relations with my male partners more than with my girlfriend. First thing is, am I gay or bi? Or does that not even matter? I’m worried that once this becomes public, I will disgrace most of the Greek community on campus. More importantly, how can I continue my promiscuity without her finding out?

~Unfaithful

Dear Reader,

Let me see if I’ve got this right: you want me to tell you how to continue cheating on your girlfriend without getting caught? Basically, you’re trying to cover your own ass. Do you really think that even merits a response? Either ditch the guys, or ditch the girl, but you can’t have your cake and eat it, too. You’re not four years old, so stop acting like a child.

You say you care about your girlfriend. Really? Not only is it cruel and deceitful to cheat on your partner, you’re also playing her for a fool. She’ll be none too happy when she learns the truth about your little sexcapades-and she will.

My advice? Come clean now. You’re just going to get tangled in a web of lies, and it’s going to suck the life right out of you. You need to decide what’s more important to you: staying with your girlfriend, or hooking up with other guys. If you do want to stick with your girl, I’d recommend telling her the truth.

If, however, you decide you’d rather make the rounds with the frat boys, you need to break up with your girlfriend, like, two months ago. She deserves to hear the truth straight from your mouth (unless, of course, you’d rather have her hear it from a gossipy sorority girl). If you’re not ready to fess up about the guy-on-guy action, at least explain your reasons for ending the relationship: you don’t think you can be a good boyfriend to her, you’ve changed, yada, yada, yada.

I can’t tell you if you’re gay, I can’t tell you if you’re straight, and I can’t tell you if you’re bisexual. You have to figure that one out on your own. Being gay or bisexual, though, is not a disgrace, even in the Greek community. In fact, there are a number of gay men in fraternities right here on the UM campus (hello, you were hooking up with them!). The only thing you have to be ashamed of is the way you treated your girlfriend.

No good can come of living this double life. So grow up, man up, and accept responsibility for your actions. Trust me, you’ll feel much better when you do.

Best of luck,

Fact’o’the Day: Kissing encourages saliva to wash food from the teeth and lowers the level of the acid that causes decay, preventing plaque build-up.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@themiamihurricane.com or online at themiamihurricane.com/dearv. All questions will remain anonymous.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...