Baseball: Offense struggles in series defeat

The Miami Hurricane baseball team was overmatched against a highly ranked Atlantic Coast Conference foe. They dropped a weekend series in Charlottesville, VA, to the No. 5 University of Virginia Cavaliers, two games to none.

Following a disconcerting trend of consistent inconsistency, the ‘Canes were unable to make the offensive plays necessary to win this weekend, even while holding the Cavs to just three runs on both Friday and Saturday night. The ‘Canes put up one run on Friday night (4-1) and were shutout on Saturday (3-0), demonstrating that the ACC is a very tough place to play on the road.

The pitching was strong in all three games, led by the performances of starters Eric Erickson and Scott Maine on Friday and Saturday night, respectively. Also, making his first weekend start for the ‘Canes was former closer Enrique Garcia, who hung tough against a potent Cavalier attack on Sunday.

Offensively, the ‘Canes fell short in the first two games of the series and struggled all weekend to put the ball in play against a tough Virginia pitching that dominated the game.

Sunday was a bit of a different story, as the ‘Canes came up with hits in the clutch and once again displayed their pitching strength in a 4-2 win on getaway day.

Stars of the series were mostly on the defensive side of the ball, who were able to hold the Cavaliers within reach. Closer Danny Gil notched his second save of the season on Sunday afternoon, putting the Cavaliers down quietly in the bottom of the ninth.

Dennis Raben and Alex Koronis proved to be essential in relief in pitching the sixth, seventh and eight innings. The Hurricanes were able to secure a win that prevented a sweep in Virginia, which could have had a severe impact on the remainder of the ACC schedule.

Sunday’s win was made possible by the small ball tactics of the Hurricanes. Centerfielder Blake Tekotte was winnable to snap the ‘Canes losing streak on the road, as he doubled in a run in the third inning and scored a run later in the game after being hit by a pitch and stealing second base.

Tekotte showed why he was recently installed in the leadoff spot in the order.

Roger Tomas added an RBI double late to give the ‘Canes some breathing room and the pitchers took care of the rest.

This weekend’s series showed both the brilliance and frustration that are trademarks of this year’s team.

If the Hurricanes want to be successful throughout their ACC schedule (including Clemson next week), they need to make improvements that include hitting with runners in scoring position and putting the ball in play.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...