Would your boat be floated from behind?

I’m in a bit of an uncomfortable position. I’ve been with my boyfriend for four months now, and we recently started having sex. He’s an amazing guy, and we really get along well. There’s just one thing: he wants to have anal sex. He says that he used to do it with his ex-girlfriend all the time, and that it feels way better for him than vaginal or oral sex. I’ve always been really weirded out by anal sex, and it’s something that I never planned on doing. But I really like this guy a lot, and I don’t want to lose him. Should I just suck it up and just do it?

Dear Reader,

First of all, you should never, ever let a guy pressure you into doing anything that makes you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. It’s your body, and you can choose what you want to do with it. And, quite frankly, anal sex can be a bit of a daunting prospect for those who have never experienced it.

While the numbers vary from study to study, a 2006 survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control shows that anal sex is on the uptake among straight folk, with 38% of men and 32% of women regularly engaging in heterosexual anal sex.

Many couples, gay and straight alike, find anal sex to be very gratifying. It is by no means strictly a “gay thing,” nor is it weird, creepy, disgusting, or any other adjective you may have heard in reference to anal sex. Whatever floats your boat, right?

But would anal sex float your boat? Think about your reasons for being “weirded out” when it comes to anal. Is it fear of the physical act itself, and the possibility of pain? Do you associate it with any stigmas or stereotypes? Or is it just too private, and make you feel vulnerable? You need to made this decision for yourself-not for your boyfriend. If he’s as great as you say he is, he’ll accept your decision and leave it at that.

I don’t want to dissuade you in any way, but it’s always best to know the risks, and anal sex can be a healthy, enjoyable form of sexual activity, it can, like vaginal or oral sex, cause a smattering of not-so-fun problems.

Infection is common, due to the vast number of infectious germs down there. Need I say more? I think I will. You’re at a much higher risk for contracting STDs (*ahem* although I’m sure both you and your boyfriend have been tested since you started dating each other).

You are also particularly at risk for physical damage-after all, it’s a tender area). If you do indeed decide to go ahead and engage in anal sex, there are pretty easy fixes for some of these problems: wear a condom (as you always do, I’m sure); and use plenty of lube.

Remember, ultimately, this is your choice, and if your boyfriend can’t respect that, then it’s time to kick him to the curb. If you do decide to “just do it,” then, as always, I wish you the very best of luck!

Best of Luck!

Fact’o’the Day: According to a survey of sex shop owners, cherry is the most popular flavor of edible underwear. Chocolate is the least popular.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...