University discusses plans to purchase Cedars hospital

The University of Miami may purchase Cedars Medical Center, an accredited 560-bed hospital located across the street from Jackson Memorial Hospital, The Miami Herald reported earlier this month.

The addition of Cedars would disrupt plans for UM to build its own hospital, a $460 million endeavor resulting in a 14-story, 144-bed, state-of-the-art facility.

The proposed UM-owned hospital was part of a medical school makeover by new UM dean, Pascal J. Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt still plans to initiate new research in the field of genetics by recruiting 22 doctors from Duke University and launching the Miami Institute of Human Genomics.

The Herald also reported that the officials at the Public Health Trust, the board that oversees Jackson, are worried about the creation of a UM-owned hospital. The officials feared that doctors might send only poor and uninsured patients to Jackson and treat insured patients at their own institution.

The addition of Cedars would be expensive, causing an assumed $11.7 billion in debt for a new owner. The Agency for Health Care Administration reported that Cedars is continually profitable, earning $15 million in 2005.

Although statistics from the South Florida Hospital and Healthcare Association have shown there is no shortage of hospital beds in Miami-Dade County, UM doctors sent patients to Cedars in the past due to surgery-scheduling conflicts at Jackson.

Furthermore, Lourdes Garrido, spokeswoman for Hospital Corporation of America, said 23 UM residents in six specialties are currently assigned to Cedars.

Robert Alonso, spokesman for Jackson, spoke to The Herald about the Cedars-UM deal speculations.

“All of this is preliminary,” Alonso said. “It’s really too early for us to say anything.”

This story was compiled by Karyn Meshbane. She may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...