University discusses plans to purchase Cedars hospital

The University of Miami may purchase Cedars Medical Center, an accredited 560-bed hospital located across the street from Jackson Memorial Hospital, The Miami Herald reported earlier this month.

The addition of Cedars would disrupt plans for UM to build its own hospital, a $460 million endeavor resulting in a 14-story, 144-bed, state-of-the-art facility.

The proposed UM-owned hospital was part of a medical school makeover by new UM dean, Pascal J. Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt still plans to initiate new research in the field of genetics by recruiting 22 doctors from Duke University and launching the Miami Institute of Human Genomics.

The Herald also reported that the officials at the Public Health Trust, the board that oversees Jackson, are worried about the creation of a UM-owned hospital. The officials feared that doctors might send only poor and uninsured patients to Jackson and treat insured patients at their own institution.

The addition of Cedars would be expensive, causing an assumed $11.7 billion in debt for a new owner. The Agency for Health Care Administration reported that Cedars is continually profitable, earning $15 million in 2005.

Although statistics from the South Florida Hospital and Healthcare Association have shown there is no shortage of hospital beds in Miami-Dade County, UM doctors sent patients to Cedars in the past due to surgery-scheduling conflicts at Jackson.

Furthermore, Lourdes Garrido, spokeswoman for Hospital Corporation of America, said 23 UM residents in six specialties are currently assigned to Cedars.

Robert Alonso, spokesman for Jackson, spoke to The Herald about the Cedars-UM deal speculations.

“All of this is preliminary,” Alonso said. “It’s really too early for us to say anything.”

This story was compiled by Karyn Meshbane. She may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...