University discusses plans to purchase Cedars hospital

The University of Miami may purchase Cedars Medical Center, an accredited 560-bed hospital located across the street from Jackson Memorial Hospital, The Miami Herald reported earlier this month.

The addition of Cedars would disrupt plans for UM to build its own hospital, a $460 million endeavor resulting in a 14-story, 144-bed, state-of-the-art facility.

The proposed UM-owned hospital was part of a medical school makeover by new UM dean, Pascal J. Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt still plans to initiate new research in the field of genetics by recruiting 22 doctors from Duke University and launching the Miami Institute of Human Genomics.

The Herald also reported that the officials at the Public Health Trust, the board that oversees Jackson, are worried about the creation of a UM-owned hospital. The officials feared that doctors might send only poor and uninsured patients to Jackson and treat insured patients at their own institution.

The addition of Cedars would be expensive, causing an assumed $11.7 billion in debt for a new owner. The Agency for Health Care Administration reported that Cedars is continually profitable, earning $15 million in 2005.

Although statistics from the South Florida Hospital and Healthcare Association have shown there is no shortage of hospital beds in Miami-Dade County, UM doctors sent patients to Cedars in the past due to surgery-scheduling conflicts at Jackson.

Furthermore, Lourdes Garrido, spokeswoman for Hospital Corporation of America, said 23 UM residents in six specialties are currently assigned to Cedars.

Robert Alonso, spokesman for Jackson, spoke to The Herald about the Cedars-UM deal speculations.

“All of this is preliminary,” Alonso said. “It’s really too early for us to say anything.”

This story was compiled by Karyn Meshbane. She may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...