The UM police Department reminds you to think about pedestrian safety!

Each year over 85,000 pedestrians are injured or killed by motor vehicles. Most of these incidents were preventable. If you’re walking to a destination on or off campus, please remember that the University of Miami is located within a major urban area. Pedestrian safety is critically important, yet, it is often overlooked. Ideally, drivers and pedestrians should cooperate and yield to whomever has the right of way. However, with an ever increasing number of distractions such as cell phones and iPods, common sense and laws are often overlooked or ignored. Since the human body is no match for a motor vehicle, pedestrian safety must ultimately reside with the pedestrian. Pedestrians should NEVER assume that the driver of a vehicle will look out for them. Consider the following practices to increase your safety as a pedestrian: Always use sidewalks when available. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far to the side of the road as possible. On busy streets, like US 1, only cross at an intersection with a marked crosswalk. Never jaywalk. Before crossing a street, always scan for approaching traffic. Obey pedestrian signs as well. When crossing a busy road, walk briskly and continually scan for traffic. Never assume that a driver sees you, or that he/ she will yield to you. Don’t wear headphones while walking. At night, wear bright colored or reflective clothing and carry a flashlight. Above all, use common sense based on the assumption that drivers are not looking out for you. The University takes pedestrian safety very seriously, and as a result, UM Police Officers will issue citations for jay-walking. Please feel free to stop by the UM Police Dispatch window on the ground floor of the Flipse Building for a free “Stepping Out” University of Miami Pedestrian Safety guide. UM Police Officials will also be tabling around campus over the next few weeks distributing pedestrian safety information. Further information on pedestrian safety and jay-walking enforcement is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...