Atypical events make for cheap Miami weekends

One of the great things Miami has to offer college students is that it’s not the typical college town- there are more places to go than just the one sports bar. There are a million things to do and see and while some are a little pricier than the average student can afford, there are plenty of cheap ways one can do to take advantage of the city’s culturally-enriched and artistically-influenced events. And since not everyone has the time to seek out these unique experiences for themselves, EDGE put together a little weekend guide to help you on your search.

Yoga in the park

When: Every Monday and Wednesday from 6-7:15pm and Saturdays from 9-10:15 a.m.

Where: The Tina Hills Pavillion at Bayfront Park

Cost: Free as well, but registration is on a first come first serve basis and classes will fill up.

What: Practice yoga from a certified instructor while outdoors (or indoors if the Miami weather is acting temperamental). All levels are welcome. You must be at least 18 years old and bring your own yoga mat, water and towel. For more information call 305-358-7550.

Flying trapeeze school

When: Every Thursday and Friday from 6-8 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 3-5 p.m., 6-8 p.m.

Where: The center of Bayfront Park

Cost: Ok, this one isn’t free. You can register for a package of classes ranging in price from $190-$510 or there is the “try’n’fly” class for $40. There are also private and group rates.

What: If you ever wanted to join the circus as a kid, or just wanted to swing on the flying trapeze, Bayfront offers trapeze classes taught by professionals for everyone at all levels. And don’t worry, safety measures include a double line spotting harness and a net. Don’t wear baggy clothing, jewelry or lotion, and for more information or registration, visit www.theflyingtrapeze.net

Coral Gables Farmers Market

When: Runs from Jan. 13 to Mar. 31, but the below events are for Mar. 24

Where: In front of City Hall at 405 Biltmore Way

Cost: Here’s the best part, it’s free!

What: 8 a.m. Tai Chi class in the park taught by Al Agon from Perfect Balance, 9 a.m. gardening workshop held by Andres Mejides from Elfin Acres Organic Farm and a 10 a.m. cooking demonstration by Chocolate Fashion.

Sneak Peak

When: March 24, part of Winter Music Conference, from 5-9 p.m.

Where: Upper East Side Garden at 7244 Biscayne Boulevard

Cost: Free again!

What: An event that combines art, music and. miniature golf. The Upper East Side Garden is a combination sculpture garden and mini-golf course located on Biscayne Boulevard. The event is hosted by the sculpture gardens along with DJ Nektar (a Miami designer/artist) and DJ Debbie D. Guests can play a nine-hole golf course with obstacles designed by Miami artists while being entertained by New York-based group The Loconuts, DJ Debbie D and DJ Nektar.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...