Staying Fit in Miami

Exercise and vacation-the two don’t seem to go together, but maintaining a fitness regimen while traveling is both easily said and done.

And it doesn’t necessarily require hitting the gym every day.

Anthony Musto, an exercise physiologist and assistant director of fitness programs at the Wellness Center, said that it isn’t necessary to get stressed if a fitness schedule cannot be maintained while on vacation.

He suggests coordinating activities depending on the type of vacation, which makes the trip easier and more enjoyable.

“People go on vacation to relax, so they should just do what they enjoy doing,” Musto said. “I think the best set of equipment is a pair of walking shoes. Get out and explore, see the sights.”

An effective workout should not be limited by a select few fitness machines. Cruise-goers and tropical destination travelers can schedule activities such as jet-skiing, bike riding, kayaking, hiking or a run along the beach. For travelers heading to cooler climates, walking is a great option-and since metabolism rates increase in cold weather, more calories will be burned!

Lisa Dorfman, a sports nutritionist and adjunct professor of exercise and sports sciences at the University of Miami, said that the biggest mistake people make while traveling is losing sight of their routine. She suggests adding 10 to 15 minutes of exercise before an activity to help maintain a rhythm of fitness.

“Get some exercise in first,” she said. “It gets hard when you’re off schedule, but don’t get lazy. Keep things going so you don’t feel terrible when you get home.”

According to the online training website Pacific Fitness Elite, run by trainer Ben Greenfield, by simply packing exercise clothes and shoes a traveler will be more likely to exercise at some point on vacation.

Aside from the gym facilities that many hotels offer, many callisthenic exercises can be done in the comfort of a hotel room. Push-ups are an easy way to maintain some sort of routine. Elastic bands and jump ropes also add to hotel room workouts while taking up little luggage space. Jump-roping provides a cardio workout while elastic bands help with upper body exercise.

An article from Outside Magazine Online warns that “travel can be a minefield of fitness regimens shot to hell” and offers advice to air travelers who face long flights and an extended amount of time in airports.

The article suggests turning the airport terminal into a low-key gym: passengers can stretch or walk instead of sitting in the waiting area. It is also important to stay active while on the plane, either by stretching and movement or customized yoga moves that can be done while seated.

“On a plane, you should definitely get up and stretch,” Dorfman said. “Stretch out in the area where the flight attendants have their seats or you could do abductor workouts right in your own seat.”

By following a few tips and tricks, fitness can be easily maintained while on vacation. And if for no other reason, keep a routine to help expend calories and avoid gaining a few extra pounds from vacation eating habits.

Megan Ondrizek may be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

TIPS FROM:Pacific Elite Fitness

Pacific Elite offers a 20-30 min. workout that could be completed in the morning (three sets of 15 reps. each):
-Body weight squat
-Wide grip push-up
-Elastic band side raise
-Elastic band front raise
-Elastic band bicep curl
-Body weight lunge
-Elastic band triceps extension
-Narrow grip pushup
-Glute squeeze crunch

For more workout suggestions, visit www.pacificfit.net

TIPS FROM: Top End Sports

Top End Sports online offers a simple circuit workout (eight to 12 reps of each exercise) that requires a resistance band:

-Bicep curl
-Triceps dip
-Lat pull down
-Front raise
-Push-up
-Squat
-Abductor lifts
-Abductor splits
-Hamstring kicks

For detailed exercise instructions, visit www.workoutsforyou.com/travel_plan.htm

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...