SG holds Senate elections

Elections for next year’s Student Government Speaker of the Senate and Speaker Pro Tempore took place at Wednesday’ Senate meeting.

Brandon Gross, current speaker pro tempore, and Max Kelerstein, chief of staff internal, both vied to be speaker in the 2007-2008 school year. Gross was elected the next speaker of the senate.

Senators Michael Bookman, Jacqueline Collazo and Adela Ghadimi, all Senate committee chairs, were the three candidates for speaker pro tempore. Ghadimi, who will be the first female speaker pro temp since Paty Escuder in 2004-2005, was elected speaker pro tempore 2007-2008.

The total number of votes for each candidate was not released.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...