Pres. Shalala appointed to government commission

President George W. Bush named University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala co-chair of a commission to investigate problems at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, along with former Senator Bob Dole. The announcement was made Tuesday.

“I am truly honored that President Bush has asked Senator Bob Dole and me to co-chair the commission that will review the care and services provided to our returning wounded service members,” Shalala said in a email statement issued by UM Media Relations.

The Commission on Care for America’s Returning Wounded Warriors will also examine whether similar problems exist at other military and veterans hospitals.

“The healthcare system for soldiers has to be a perfectly rung system,” Shalala said. “We’re going to look at that whole system, and that is the assignment from the President.”

In February, The Washington Post reported on substandard conditions and a confusing bureaucracy for troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan at an outpatient facility at Walter Reed, according to an article from CNN.com.

Shalala said that the healthcare system in the U.S. is very fragmented and the military hospital system must take some of the responsibility.

“We all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to our fellow Americans who are serving our country in some of the most dangerous parts of the world,” Shalala’s statement said.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...