Pres. Shalala appointed to government commission

President George W. Bush named University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala co-chair of a commission to investigate problems at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, along with former Senator Bob Dole. The announcement was made Tuesday.

“I am truly honored that President Bush has asked Senator Bob Dole and me to co-chair the commission that will review the care and services provided to our returning wounded service members,” Shalala said in a email statement issued by UM Media Relations.

The Commission on Care for America’s Returning Wounded Warriors will also examine whether similar problems exist at other military and veterans hospitals.

“The healthcare system for soldiers has to be a perfectly rung system,” Shalala said. “We’re going to look at that whole system, and that is the assignment from the President.”

In February, The Washington Post reported on substandard conditions and a confusing bureaucracy for troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan at an outpatient facility at Walter Reed, according to an article from CNN.com.

Shalala said that the healthcare system in the U.S. is very fragmented and the military hospital system must take some of the responsibility.

“We all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to our fellow Americans who are serving our country in some of the most dangerous parts of the world,” Shalala’s statement said.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...