News Briefs

UMNews

Hurricane athletics launches fundraising program

The University of Miami athletics department has announced its new fundraising initiative, “Sprint for Hurricane Athletics.”

The campaign seeks to raise more than $70 million over the next three years. Money raised from the campaign is expected to transform the athletic program through the creation of new scholarships, construction and renovation of athletic facilities and the expansion of the program’s endowment and annual giving.

“We’ve prioritized our needs very carefully and strategically, and it’s important that we provide our student-athletes with the support and facilities that are comparable to-or better than-what they would be offered at other colleges and universities,” Sergio M. Gonzalez, vice president for university advancement and head of the campaign, was quoted as saying in a press release.

The three-year “Sprint” program is a part of the university’s “Momentum” campaign and has a six-month objective of $20 million.

Goals of the campaign include: a renovated training room and medical facility; funds to complete the renovation of Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field; renovations to the Schiff Tennis Center and Cobb Stadium; and a new football equipment facility.

ELSEWhere

New York pushing for early presidential primary

JANE AHN // CORNELL DAILY SUN (CORNELL U.)

(U-WIRE) ITHACA, N.Y. – New York has recently joined a slew of states pushing for an early 2008 presidential primary.

Both Democrats and Republicans have been discussing plans to move their presidential primary up by one month, from Mar. 4 to Feb. 5.

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer’s (D) spokeswoman Christine Anderson told the Associated Press that the governor is still reviewing the idea of changing state law to advance the state’s primary. Legislative leaders of both parties, however, support the move.

The delegate selection process for the 2008 presidential election will begin with the Jan. 14 Iowa caucus, followed by the Nevada caucus on Jan. 19, the New Hampshire primary on Jan. 22, and the South Carolina primary on Jan. 29. Under the Democratic National Committee’s approved proposal last year to implement changes in the 2008 primary calendar, the earliest possible primary for all other states is Feb. 5.

Alabama, Delaware, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Utah have already established Feb. 5 as their primary date. In addition to New York, three other large electoral states-California, Florida and Illinois-have also made clear the likelihood of advancing their presidential primaries.

In response to the constant talks of primary calendar compression and in trying to uphold its traditional status as the location of the nation’s first primary, New Hampshire officials told the New York Times that they will schedule their primary as early as necessary, perhaps even before Jan.1 nomination.

ETC.

Applications for the Gandhi Day of Service 2007 executive board are now available in UC room 240. Completed applications must be submitted by Monday, March 19 at 5 p.m. Applicants must also sign up for an interview time.

Interested in getting involved in Student Government? Applications for the seven open Senate seats are available in the SG office (UC 214) and are due by Wednesday, March 21 in Speaker Pro Tempore Brandon Gross’s mailbox. Applicants must also sign up for an interview time.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...