Mahoney basement intruder sets off fire alarm

No actual fire broke out in Mahoney Residential College shortly after 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning, but someone did illegally break in to the boiler room, according University of Miami Police.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UMPD said that an unknown person or persons entered the room, located in the Mahoney basement, opened doors and tampered with some of the valves.

The suspect then pulled the alarm and tried to use the fire extinguisher.

When the Coral Gables Fire Department arrived they found there was no fire. Two fire trucks and one other vehicle responded, along with at least four UM and Coral Gables police squad cars.

Being awoken by the alarm, students slowly left the building, unsure of whether it was a real fire or not. They initially stood close to the entrances, but were then moved back further to a safe distance.

The Mahoney-Pearson dining hall was opened for students as a place to sit down and take refuge from the chilly morning.

Once the alarm was reset, students were allowed back in, one hour after being evacuated.

The Miami Hurricane contacted Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department Friday and he said the report is not yet in the system.

Please check back online for any updates.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...