Mahoney basement intruder sets off fire alarm

No actual fire broke out in Mahoney Residential College shortly after 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning, but someone did illegally break in to the boiler room, according University of Miami Police.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UMPD said that an unknown person or persons entered the room, located in the Mahoney basement, opened doors and tampered with some of the valves.

The suspect then pulled the alarm and tried to use the fire extinguisher.

When the Coral Gables Fire Department arrived they found there was no fire. Two fire trucks and one other vehicle responded, along with at least four UM and Coral Gables police squad cars.

Being awoken by the alarm, students slowly left the building, unsure of whether it was a real fire or not. They initially stood close to the entrances, but were then moved back further to a safe distance.

The Mahoney-Pearson dining hall was opened for students as a place to sit down and take refuge from the chilly morning.

Once the alarm was reset, students were allowed back in, one hour after being evacuated.

The Miami Hurricane contacted Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department Friday and he said the report is not yet in the system.

Please check back online for any updates.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...