Mahoney basement intruder sets off fire alarm

No actual fire broke out in Mahoney Residential College shortly after 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning, but someone did illegally break in to the boiler room, according University of Miami Police.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UMPD said that an unknown person or persons entered the room, located in the Mahoney basement, opened doors and tampered with some of the valves.

The suspect then pulled the alarm and tried to use the fire extinguisher.

When the Coral Gables Fire Department arrived they found there was no fire. Two fire trucks and one other vehicle responded, along with at least four UM and Coral Gables police squad cars.

Being awoken by the alarm, students slowly left the building, unsure of whether it was a real fire or not. They initially stood close to the entrances, but were then moved back further to a safe distance.

The Mahoney-Pearson dining hall was opened for students as a place to sit down and take refuge from the chilly morning.

Once the alarm was reset, students were allowed back in, one hour after being evacuated.

The Miami Hurricane contacted Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department Friday and he said the report is not yet in the system.

Please check back online for any updates.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...