Editorial: The best of the message boards

The Hurricane‘s website, www.themiamihurricane.com (a shameless plug, we know), is ripe with discussions and feedback from our online readers. The print edition of the paper, however, is not. Feedback in the form of letters to the editor are sorely lacking. Maybe this is a sign of the times: if it’s not digital, no one seems to care about it.

Below are a selection of some of the best, and worst, online postings of recent times, un-edited and in their own words, most of which would make great letters as well.

An Opinion column by Alicia Montalvo on R. Kelly and Ashlee Simpson appeared in the Mar. 3 issue of The Hurricane and garnered much response online. A poster whose caps lock key was apparently broken and who went by the name “KELLY ROBERTS” writes:

“WHAT IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU HAVE YET TO GRASP IS THAT R.KELLY HAS MILLIONS OF FANS THAT LOVE HIM AND DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU WRITE. YOU GUYS OBSESSION WITH HIM IS NOT NORMAL. GOD BLESS R.KELLY AND HIS FAMILY.”

In response to that, an astoundingly more absurd post was made by “ali france”:

“u must be crazy!!! kells is an all time great ,the marvin gaye of our time and u to compare him to this blonde bitch , well go fuck yourself.”

Not all postings on TheMiamiHurricane.com are merely entertaining folly like the above, however. Many are perceptive, intelligent and well written.

In response to a column on Hollywood’s tendency to lean to the left, a poster going by “J” wrote:

“People already know Hollywood’s elite are liberals. However, most people recognize that Hollywood is completely out of touch with the common man and his reality, and thus not much credibility is lent to their political opinions.”

Regarding Bill Clinton coming to campus,”Dee Dee” had this to say about the ticketing process:

“I think it was lame that the ticketing ended at 4pm, totally obliterating night students from even having a chance to get one. I hope my professors enjoy going (of course, they all mysteriously got tickets).”

Also in line with President Clinton’s Convocation speech was this overall assessment by “janice kornas”:

“I was very impressed by the former presidents comments. this is a man who does not sound like a politian but more like a professor speaking to his students. this person is wise beyond his years. i wish he were sitting in the white house making decisions at this time of need.”

Poster “Kellen” was not going to let “janice” off the hook for her spelling, though, quickly responding:

“I hope the spelling in the comment by Janice is not indicative of the overall crowd President Clinton was addressing and the University’s student body.”

Obviously “Kellen” hasn’t read the R. Kelly/Ashlee Simpson message board lately.

Send letters to the editor to letters@themiamihurricane.com or at themiamihurricane.com/letters and see your submissions printed right here, the only place better than online.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...