Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball: Hurricanes downed by Georgia Tech

The Miami Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team was downed by the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 66-52 in the first round of the ACC Tournament.

The No. 11 seeded Hurricanes never saw the light of day, as they fell behind from the opening seconds of the game and did not get close to having a lead.

The Hurricanes were led by senior guard Renee Taylor’s 14 points. Guards Maurita Reid and Charmaine Clark helped out with 12 points apiece, but in the end, the No. 5 seeded Yellow Jackets were just too much for the Hurricanes, as Janie Mitchell dialed in for 22 points and 10 rebounds.

The Hurricanes were especially hurt by Georgia Tech’s 34-20 rebounding edge, including 12 offensive rebounds by the Yellow Jackets, and the fact that Georgia Tech got to the charity strike 18 times, while the Hurricanes only garnered five free throw attempts.

Women’s Track: Faluade earns prestigious award

University of Miami senior Brenda Faluade was named the 2007 ACC Indoor Field Most Valuable Performer.

Faluade’s first place performance in the triple jump and second place performance in the long jump at the ACC Indoor Championships allowed her to qualify automatically for the NCAA Championships for the triple jump and provisionally qualify for the long jump.

As a result, Faluade was voted as the 2007 ACC Indoor Field Performer of the Year, as voted on by 12 ACC coaches.

Men’s Tennis: Miami drops ACC opener

The University of Miami men’s tennis team dropped their ACC opener to Florida State 5-2. The loss was the fourth straight for the No. 26 Hurricanes.

The team faced an overall loss in doubles, despite a win from the pair of Luigi D’Agord and Josh Cohen.

As for the singles side of the competition, the Hurricanes could only manage to garner two wins. D’Agord and Vivek Subramanian both fought back to win their matches, after each dropped his respective first set.

“FSU played well today,” Head Coach Mario Rincon said. “We need to do better, but I’m encouraged by the continuing improvement from Vivek.”

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 4-5 on the season and 0-1 in the ACC.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...