Freshman killed by wrong-way driver

Michelle Alysia Shore, a freshman pre-law student, was killed while driving home on Interstate 95 in the early morning hours Feb. 24 after seeing a movie in Coconut Grove with a friend. She was 18.

The Miami Herald reported Tuesday that Shore had been identified as the victim of the accident, which took place at 2:50 a.m.

Sgt. Mark Wyscoky, public affairs officers for the Florida Highway Patrol, told The Miami Hurricane Wednesday that the suspect, 26-year-old Ramon Herrera, was still listed in critical condition after crashing his Honda into Shore’s 2002 Dodge Neon.

The Herald reported the following last week:

Michelle was driving back home to Sunrise after seeing a movie when Herrera, who was driving southbound in the northbound lanes, struck her car near Pembroke Road in Hollywood. Shore’s car immediately burst into flames.

Herrera, who is from Hollywood, was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital.

He has record of past traffic violations, including a license suspension in 2002, according to the Broward County clerk of court’s web site.

Michelle’s sister, Danielle, spoke with The Hurricane via telephone Saturday.

“She had a presence about her,” said Danielle, 21, who attends Florida Atlantic University. “She got along with everyone.”

Although they went to different schools, they kept in touch over the phone everyday.

“I miss her voice,” Danielle said, “and I miss talking to her.”

Michelle was born in New Jersey on June 14, 1988. Her father, Richard, is from Boston. Her mother, Bettina, is from Honduras. Her sister said she was proud of her Latin and Jewish background.

Danielle noted that Michelle’s second grade teacher was killed in the very same way. From that point on, she said, her younger sister was strongly against drinking and driving under the influence of alcohol.

At the time of publication, no official report had been as to whether or not the Herrera was intoxicated.

Her sister also said she loved UM, where she was a full-time student with a full scholarship. She also worked two part-time jobs, one at Cole Haan in the Village at Merrick Park.

Danielle praised everything about her, saying she had accomplished so much as such a young age and had a good head on her shoulders: “She was 18 going on 30.”

“She was like a shining star,” Danielle said. “She had a presence about her.

She added, “If you didn’t know her, it’s hard to [explain her]because she was an angel. It’s such a shame she’s gone at such a young age.”

Her sister also talked about how people loved her, noting that hundreds of people, of diverse backgrounds, attended her funeral Thursday.

Shore is the fifth UM student to die since this past summer. Her memorial service and funeral took place Thursday.

A memorial page has been created in her honor at myspace.com/michelleshore.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...