News Briefs

UMNews

Panhellenic Assoc. to celebrate International Badge Day 2007

Seven organizations under the University of Miami’s National Panhellenic Conference will celebrate International Badge Day on Monday, March 5.

During this annual event, 3.7 million sorority women worldwide will honor their Greek Affiliation by wearing their badge, chapter pin or letter. This year’s theme is “Wear Your Badge with Pride.”

UM’s Panhellenic Association will host a cake cutting and t-shirt distribution in celebration of Badge Day. This will take place at the Panhellenic Patio for all Panhellenic women who are representing their organizations.

“Badge Day is a reminder of why we are all proud to be sorority women, regardless of what organization a woman joins. It gives us the opportunity to show that pride,” a Panhellenic member was quoted as saying in a press release.

For more information about International Badge Day or the university Panhellenic Association, visit www.npcwomen.org.

ELSEWhere

Donations to colleges on the rise nationally

Astrid Bradley // The Dartmouth (dartmouth)

(U-WIRE) HANOVER, N.H. – Colleges and universities brought in a record $28 billion through charitable donations in 2006-a 9.4 percent increase from 2005. Alumni giving, which accounts for about a third of such donations, grew by over 18 percent compared to last year, according to statistics released last week by the Council for Aid to Education.

Stanford University led the pack with $911 million in donations, collecting the most ever by a single university, while Dartmouth College, which saw a 51 percent increase in donations from last year, raked in $160.3 million.

Five of the top 10 fund raisers were Ivy League schools. Dartmouth ranked seventh in the Ivy League, directly behind Princeton University and ahead of Brown University.

Given that the largest gift from a single donor was $5.9 million, the vast majority of money raised for the College came from a large number of donors.

In contrast, among the schools higher up on the list, most of the money comes from a small number of large gifts. Stanford credited approximately 40 percent of their total fund raising to 10 donations, including a $100 million gift from alumnus and real estate developer John Arrillaga.

About 60 percent of the College’s donations are from alumni, a figure that’s twice the national average of 30 percent.

Stanford’s total for 2006 was boosted by two separate official campaigns for donations during the year. With 300 full-time employees asking for donations, the campaigns helped to create a total that is approximately 50 percent higher than the previous year.

As of February 2007, the Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience has collected $809.6 million of its $1.3 billion goal. The campaign ends in December 2009.

According to CAE, the top 20 fund-raising schools are credited for more than a quarter of all monies raised nationally.

After Stanford, the top 10 fund raisers were Harvard University, which raised $595 million, Yale University, the University of Pennsylvania, Cornell University, the University of Southern California, Johns Hopkins University, Columbia University, Duke University and the top earner among public universities, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, which raised $326 million.

ETC.

Applications are now being accepted for the next Miss Miami USA pageant. Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 26. Request an application online at www.MissMiamiUSA.com. The event will take place on April 14.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...