CD suffers from ADD; can’t decide on genre

A challenge to the reader: determine the genre of this CD. This usually isn’t a difficult task, but with “North,” you’ll certainly have your hands full. The opening track, “Black River Bridge,” leads you to believe Tim Emmerick & Cold Front Country is a rock band. The second and third songs, “Fall to the Leaves” and “This Time Last Year,” take a turn to the alternative side, closely resembling the style of Ben Folds, and by the time you reach the sixth track, “Chapter and Verse,” the fiddle in the background might tempt you to classify the CD as Country. But don’t worry, you’ll quickly change your mind (again) after the seventh track, “Littletown Blues,” and decide you’re listening to classic rock CD and for the tenth track “Pricks and Drag Queens” plays, you might detect a hint of punk rock.

It’s possible this album has created a genre of its own: folk-country-classic-punk-alternative-rock, perhaps? For those who suffer from a touch of ADD, this CD might manage to keep you entertained. Each song has a completely different style from the one before it. The only underlying similarity between each track on the album is the nature of the lyrics. Tim Emmerick’s lyrics are original, to say the least. All of the songs are narratives and tell a specific story. You won’t hear any clich

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...