CD suffers from ADD; can’t decide on genre

A challenge to the reader: determine the genre of this CD. This usually isn’t a difficult task, but with “North,” you’ll certainly have your hands full. The opening track, “Black River Bridge,” leads you to believe Tim Emmerick & Cold Front Country is a rock band. The second and third songs, “Fall to the Leaves” and “This Time Last Year,” take a turn to the alternative side, closely resembling the style of Ben Folds, and by the time you reach the sixth track, “Chapter and Verse,” the fiddle in the background might tempt you to classify the CD as Country. But don’t worry, you’ll quickly change your mind (again) after the seventh track, “Littletown Blues,” and decide you’re listening to classic rock CD and for the tenth track “Pricks and Drag Queens” plays, you might detect a hint of punk rock.

It’s possible this album has created a genre of its own: folk-country-classic-punk-alternative-rock, perhaps? For those who suffer from a touch of ADD, this CD might manage to keep you entertained. Each song has a completely different style from the one before it. The only underlying similarity between each track on the album is the nature of the lyrics. Tim Emmerick’s lyrics are original, to say the least. All of the songs are narratives and tell a specific story. You won’t hear any clich

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...