Baseball: ‘Canes focus on stretching their streak against Fordham Rams

The Miami Hurricanes, beginning with this weekend’s three game series against the Fordham Rams, will look to continue their momentum before beginning Atlantic Coast Conference play.

The Rams are the type of team that has given the Hurricanes a hard time this season, as the young, highly touted ‘Canes have had a tendency to look past the lesser-known programs on their schedule in anticipation of the bigger stages.

If the ‘Canes look past the Rams this weekend, they can be sure to see the same type of results they found when they dropped two games to Mercer and one to Elon, teams which they were expected to sweep handily. It would be beneficial for the young team to win between now and their series at North Carolina, to be played Mar. 9-11. The momentum that would be generated from these wins would boost the team’s win-loss record and help them combat the tendency to wilt when things to do go as planned.

The true test for a young team like this is not the big series against highly-ranked opponents, such as North Carolina, but the trap games that are scheduled before those teams, such as the Fordham series.

There are several players who will undoubtedly make big impacts this weekend, but some have been inconsistent early on in the season.

Pitcher Scott Maine, the supposed “ace” of the staff, followed up a stellar outing against UCLA with consecutive rocky outings against Florida and Elon, taking the loss in both of those games. Whether or not he can get back on track will not only affect this weekend’s series but also the entire season. Team morale is noticeably higher when they know their ace is on, and Maine’s success is therefore much more valuable then what can be measured in his ERA.

While Maine looks to get back on track, first baseman Yonder Alonso and second baseman Jemile Weeks look to stay hot, as the two celebrated players are carrying an offense that has been inconsistent, to say the least. However, as long as the leadoff hitter and the resident slugger can stay on track, the rest of the lineup should soon follow, as there is simply too much talent for this team to not become more consistent when it comes to advancing runners and hitting with runners in scoring position.

One such example of a talented newcomer who is starting to come around is third baseman Mark Sobolewski, who had an outstanding weekend against Elon and looks to provide the big bat that is desperately needed to provide protection for Alonso in the lineup. With a six RBI Saturday night, Sobolewski made it clear that he is starting to live up to the hype that comes with being a high school All-American.

The Hurricanes must maintain their focus this weekend in order to sweep the series against an unranked, but formidable team and sustain a momentum that will lead them into the toughest part of their season.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...