Arrested student Anderson still being held without bond

The 20-year-old University of Miami junior arrested Jan. 24 in connection with the sexual battery and burglary reported in Pearson a week earlier was denied bond after appearing in court Feb. 24, WFOR channel 4 reported.

A taped confession by Michael Anthony Anderson, a junior majoring in music and pre-medicine, was played during last Friday’s hearing. On the tape, he admits to sexually fondling a woman on his floor in Pearson.

The tape also offered more insight into what happened; particularly, Anderson admitted that he was under the influence of alcohol at the time.

“The alcohol is not an excuse,” he told police. “I still did it and I’m sorry I did it. If I could take it back I definitely would.”

He pled not guilty on Jan. 29, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts website.

CBS4 reported that Anderson’s defense will ask for his release. Stephen Goldstein, Anderson’s attorney, confirmed this when he told The Miami Hurricane Wednesday he believes his client should be released on bond.

However, Judge Diane Ward denied bond for Anderson Friday, saying she would not allow for him to stay with him parents in Nashville.

“That’s fine for the women of South Florida,” she said, “but there are women in Nashville too that I have to worry about.”

The possibility of releasing him to be placed under house arrest in Miami with some form of GPS tracking system was also denied.

Dr. Edward S. Sczechowicz, Jr., a psychologist brought in to evaluate Anderson, told Ward that Anderson is an alcoholic. Sczechowicz declined to comment to The Hurricane Tuesday.

At the time of publication Wednesday night, Anderson’s next hearing was scheduled for March 1.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...