Arrested student Anderson still being held without bond

The 20-year-old University of Miami junior arrested Jan. 24 in connection with the sexual battery and burglary reported in Pearson a week earlier was denied bond after appearing in court Feb. 24, WFOR channel 4 reported.

A taped confession by Michael Anthony Anderson, a junior majoring in music and pre-medicine, was played during last Friday’s hearing. On the tape, he admits to sexually fondling a woman on his floor in Pearson.

The tape also offered more insight into what happened; particularly, Anderson admitted that he was under the influence of alcohol at the time.

“The alcohol is not an excuse,” he told police. “I still did it and I’m sorry I did it. If I could take it back I definitely would.”

He pled not guilty on Jan. 29, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts website.

CBS4 reported that Anderson’s defense will ask for his release. Stephen Goldstein, Anderson’s attorney, confirmed this when he told The Miami Hurricane Wednesday he believes his client should be released on bond.

However, Judge Diane Ward denied bond for Anderson Friday, saying she would not allow for him to stay with him parents in Nashville.

“That’s fine for the women of South Florida,” she said, “but there are women in Nashville too that I have to worry about.”

The possibility of releasing him to be placed under house arrest in Miami with some form of GPS tracking system was also denied.

Dr. Edward S. Sczechowicz, Jr., a psychologist brought in to evaluate Anderson, told Ward that Anderson is an alcoholic. Sczechowicz declined to comment to The Hurricane Tuesday.

At the time of publication Wednesday night, Anderson’s next hearing was scheduled for March 1.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...