University employees terminated for misuse of University credit cards

An undisclosed number of University of Miami employees have been terminated due to abusing their university “P-Cards” and may face criminal prosecution, according to an internal email obtained by The Miami Hurricane and email correspondence with the university’s chief financial officer (CFO).

Joe Natoli, UM’s CFO and vice president for business and finance, sent out the internal email. The message says that “several” employees faced punishment for P-Card, or Purchasing Card, “misuse and/or signatures forged on monthly statements.” It continues to say that the university has a zero-tolerance policy for misuse and that in some cases criminal charges will be pursued.

Natoli said that employee names, positions, and the number of employees dismissed have not been disclosed due to policy and the possibility of criminal prosecution,

P-Cards are issued by the University in order to “allow departments more control over routine, small-dollar purchases,” according to the online P-Card guide. This guide provides examples of appropriate P-Card purchases, including tools and hardware, books, computer software and hardware, meeting amenities, flowers and office equipment. P-Cards are issued to individuals as well as to departments. Individual P-Cards are limited to $2,000 per transaction and $10,000 for each billing cycle, while departmental cards are limited to $2,499 per transaction and $20,000 for each billing cycle.

Natoli said that a total 850 P-Cards have been issued to staff.

He also said that cardholders are obligated to attach itemized receipts to monthly statements as well as a business purpose explanation for each transaction. These statements must be submitted to the Purchasing Card office within 15 days, after which statements are filed.

The online P-Card guide may be found at miami.edu/P-Card.

Nate Harris may be reached at n.harris2@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...