University employees terminated for misuse of University credit cards

An undisclosed number of University of Miami employees have been terminated due to abusing their university “P-Cards” and may face criminal prosecution, according to an internal email obtained by The Miami Hurricane and email correspondence with the university’s chief financial officer (CFO).

Joe Natoli, UM’s CFO and vice president for business and finance, sent out the internal email. The message says that “several” employees faced punishment for P-Card, or Purchasing Card, “misuse and/or signatures forged on monthly statements.” It continues to say that the university has a zero-tolerance policy for misuse and that in some cases criminal charges will be pursued.

Natoli said that employee names, positions, and the number of employees dismissed have not been disclosed due to policy and the possibility of criminal prosecution,

P-Cards are issued by the University in order to “allow departments more control over routine, small-dollar purchases,” according to the online P-Card guide. This guide provides examples of appropriate P-Card purchases, including tools and hardware, books, computer software and hardware, meeting amenities, flowers and office equipment. P-Cards are issued to individuals as well as to departments. Individual P-Cards are limited to $2,000 per transaction and $10,000 for each billing cycle, while departmental cards are limited to $2,499 per transaction and $20,000 for each billing cycle.

Natoli said that a total 850 P-Cards have been issued to staff.

He also said that cardholders are obligated to attach itemized receipts to monthly statements as well as a business purpose explanation for each transaction. These statements must be submitted to the Purchasing Card office within 15 days, after which statements are filed.

The online P-Card guide may be found at miami.edu/P-Card.

Nate Harris may be reached at n.harris2@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...