Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving: Miami finishes seventh

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team wrapped up the 2007 ACC Championships finishing seventh overall. The event was highlighted by the fact that the Hurricanes swept the men’s and women’s diving competitions for the first time in ACC history.

The competition saw a number of season-best performances from many of Miami’s athletes. Senior Tara Erwin, in the 1650 freestyle, and sophomore Margaret Ravenna, in the 200-yard backstroke, both finished with season-best times, allowing them to finish 13th and 21st respectively. Additionally, junior Capria DeVenuto finished with a season-best time in the 200-yard butterfly, earning her a 20th place finish.

In the platform competitions, Miami’s men’s and women’s divers were able to secure first and second place finishes as well. On the women’s side, senior Heather Bounds finished first while freshman Brittany Viola finished second. On the men’s side, freshman Ruben Ross finished first while senior Derek Starks finished second.

Additionally, Miami’s Jenna Dreyer and Ruben Ross both won the Most Valuable Diver awards in their respective events.

Soccer: ‘Canes keep up academic excellence

Three players from the Hurricane’s 2006 women’s soccer team were named to the 2006 All-ACC Academic Women’s Soccer Team. Student-athletes, who wish to be eligible for consideration, must have earned at least a 3.0 GPA the previous semester and have maintained a 3.0 GPA for her academic career.

Coincidentally all three players who earned the honor were juniors: Midfielders Jessica Gillman and Sheuneen Ta and goaltender Lauren McAdam.

These three athletes join a long list of University of Miami student-athletes who, in the past couple of years, have earned themselves the honor of being named to All-ACC academic teams.

Golf: Hurricanes have three Top-20 finishes

The University of Miami women’s golf team finished in sixth place at the Pap John’s Collegiate Championships. The team’s overall standings were due, in large parts, to three top-20 finishes by three individual players.

Senior Tiffany Prats led the way, finishing tied for seventh overall. She was followed by fellow teammates Jessica Steward and Hagen Weintraub, who finished 11th and 18th respectively.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...